three nights in madrid including a milestone birthday

Sorry to hear that! Sacha is closed for the holiday or it would have topped my list… Manduca de Azagra has long been on my list but that is closed as well–Sunday (as usual) and for the Monday holiday. Thank you again for the tip…

2 Likes

Doo you recall if there were any standouts you might recommend at Sala Despiece? I can try to switch, but it is a Sunday night of a holiday weekend, so not as easy as usual. Thanks!

The fried artichoke- “Rolex” - Chuleton(rolled rare beef) Black pepper ice cream w/cotton candy. These are their signature dishes recommended by the server, and they also offer as set menu for min 2 ppl.
You might have better luck with the razor clams, the couple that were grit free were delicious and simply prepared.
Enjoy!

Many thanks! I’ve still, thankfully, have a few days left in what I consider a fairly unsung area of Andalucia, but will soon turn my attention to Madrid…some shifts may be in order as far as bookings, and next time I will be sure to (and will give this advice to all) keep in mind the days designated as holidays in Spain…

And here I’d like to give respect to all the help given so generously to me and to all of you here and on the late, much lamented CH, by the Incomparable Maribel (THE IberianTraveler). We are more fortunate than we may realize that she gives so freely of her love and knowledge of Spain to all of us.

4 Likes

I will begin a thread on my four days in Madrid (extended by 1 day because I loved the city, (and the food!!) so much, I could not bear to leave. About the question, above, about what dishes to order at TABERNA LAREDO, in addition to those the crispy, delicate rabbit ribs, which I liked, I think that they serve some of the best navajas (razor clams) I’ve ever eaten… I also swooned over the artichoke, roasted, with Parmigiano. In the past, I’ve loved their confited suckling pig, and their divine baby suckling lamb chops. It’s a great spot, no bookings by e-mail and phone reservations can be placed only at specified times. And if you are late in your arrival, forget about trying to alert them by phone, as I learned on the night I showed up an hour late after getting very, very lost. (It’s not at all difficult to find, but do not depend on getting accurate directions from pedestrians for this or any other location…surely true in any city. Many people try so hard to be kind, even if they might not be totally familiar with your destination, or the right route to get you there! Foolishly, I set out with only the address but no written directions and a balky phone.

1 Like