Three days in Savannah GA/Charleston SC - restaurant recs?

Here are some haunted places to stay — https://www.visitsavannah.com/list/the-6-most-haunted-places-savannah-that-you-can-actually-visit
And the Olde Pink House is a well regarded restaurant.
There are lots of yours and pub crawls. I suppose you can also picnic. In the cemetery

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your input! Here’s our itinerary - if there are any must-sees I have missed, please chime in.

Saturday: Savannah. We’ll head out to Bonaventure Cemetery and/or Wormsloe in the morning, have a late-ish lunch at Vic’s on the River or maybe Savannah Seafood Shack and wander around downtown in the afternoon, then do a little walking tour of some haunted spots before a late dinner at Husk. We’ll try to hit the Olde Pink House, Perch and Moon River Brewing, among others. Our hotel is near the Oglethorpe Mall, so if anyone knows of a good spot for coffee near there (or between there and our other activities), I’d love a recommendation - otherwise we’ll seek out the nearest Starbucks.

Sunday: get up and drive to Charleston, take the ferry to Fort Sumter or drive out to Sullivan’s Island/Fort Moultrie. Lunch at Rodney Scott’s. Check into hotel downtown after lunch and spend the afternoon wandering around downtown before dinner at Poogan’s Porch. Nightcap at the Gin Joint or the Bar at Husk? Bars seem to close early during the week so we’ll see if we can get in under the wire after a 7:30 dinner. Proof looks pretty cool, too, and stays open much later!

Monday: Coffee (again, could use a recommendation, although we might head to Miller’s All Day for one of those cinnamon rolls per @EricLee’s suggestion), then head to Magnolia Plantation for the morning. Lunch at nearby Nigel’s Good Food. Back downtown for the afternoon for more sightseeing before dinner at SNOB.

We’re leaving on Friday - getting excited! I’ll be sure to report back after the trip. Thanks again, HOs!

3 Likes

Have a great trip!

hi @LaLa , kcbs judge here too, wondering how sweatmans is since the change in ownership? havent been in years, worth the detour from i95?

any other q you like off of 95 in sc? lotta love for mccabes, d&h was also good, more for non-bbq, would love to have your suggestions!

best,

1 Like

More BBQ along 95 in SC would be great. I’m a fan of Shuler’s, more than mccabes, which I do like. (McCabe’s pork was pulled in long (65-7 inch strands and I only got a plastic knife.) Shuler’s also has a serious buffet with excellent vegetables.

I’m also interested in the best SC barbecue hash – along 95 or elsewhere.
Maybe that’s for another thread.

Enjoy! Lovely time of year to visit that area. On the coast between Savannah and Charlestown check out Hunting Island State Park for miles of unspoiled beach for walking off a heavy meal!

1 Like

when our three kids were growing up, every other year we piled into our minvan and bombed down i95 to kiawah island, about a 35 min drive to charleston. over the course of around 10 visits we came to love lowcountry food but havent been to charleston for about 5 years as the kids have all graduated college.

you have a good list, snob was a favorite, we also loved high cotton, fig and 82 queen was an old favorite, we thought poogans was good not great.

your list is appropriate for a short visit but reminds me of a lot of posts on chowhounds manhattan board: i’m visiting for the weekend, should i eat at le benardin, emp, jean george or del posto! i’d often respond yes, but you’re going to miss joe’s pizza, papaya king, katz deli, ess-a-bagel etc…the places NYers eat.

if you return, while the cooking isnt as fine, local places like h&r sweet shop and hannibal for soul food, bowen island for oysters are worth seeking out. and while i’m dying to try rodney scott’s bbq (although I was non-plussed by the sad state of bbq in hemmingway) bessinger’s was decent, inexpensive and notable for its mustard sauce.

the kiawah island resort used to run a fantastic bbq and oyster roast. it was ayce, they’d dump bushel bags of fresh oysters over a hot charcoal grill and hand you a shucking knife. once you had your fill of oysters, headed to the tent for bbq sucking pig and southern sides. dessert was choice of two fresh cobblers. they’d bring in 3 piece band playing country music and a small dance floor. used to be included with a weekly stay, then $25, then $40, last we we were there it was $75. if the the food hasnt changed, i’d go there before just about any restaurant in the south.

enjoy!

2 Likes

my favorite hash was at sweatman’s, havent been there since the change of ownership.

I agree - that’s why I elected to go to Nigel’s and Rodney Scott’s for lunch! I wanted a mix. We’re also not 100% sold on Poogan’s and may look for something else/go more casual depending on how we feel that day. We just wanted to make sure we had a reservation so we didn’t end up arguing about where to go and ultimately ending up at Taco Bell! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just returned from a wonderful trip! I’ll do a full report soon, but for now I’ll say that we loved Vic’s, Nigel’s and SNOB. Rodney Scott’s was good but not mind-blowing, Husk was very uneven and somewhat disappointing, and Poogan’s Porch was a travesty. Despite a couple of dud meals, we absolutely loved Charleston and plan to return asap (Savannah was nice too, but probably not a repeat for us)! Thanks HOs for all of your valuable advice!

2 Likes

Can’t wait for th trip report!!

Me too on the trip report, but happy to know SNOB at least met expectations. I’m sometimes reticent to recommend places, since things can be uneven in the best of restaurants.

1 Like

Don’t let that stop you. I think we all understand that. Or should

4 Likes

Thanks for saying that! We’re all well intended, anyway.

2 Likes

I hate that about Rodney Scotts!

LaLa, I wouldn’t write Rodney Scott’s off. I prefer the original Scott’s in Hemingway, but Rodney’s is quite good – or was. He’s doing a whole lot of expansion under the mentorship of Nick Pihakis. Expansion hot Jim n Nicks. It seems to be hurting Martin’s, too.

My favorite in South Carolina is Shuler’s in Latta , just off I-95.

Our favorite place in Charleston, several years ago, was Purlieu. I see its now gone - too bad. We also loved Fig & liked Chez Nous and 39 Rue de Jean. Was not a fan of Sean Brock’s places: liked McCrady’s before he took over better & probably wont try Husk in any of its locations (even though Brock is no longer a part of the group).

I see ll the food recommendations, but what’s the best area to stay in. I think we will go for a few days in May,

I just posted updates on Rodney Scott’s and Lewis on my blog, along with Melvin’s, Bessinger’s, and Swig and Swine.