Thread title amendments - by others, not the OP

I’ve found this topic rather curious. I had no idea the sure allowed anyone other than an owner/moderator to change users’ posts. I guess it wouldn’t bother me unless it was my post and the change(s) pissed me off. But I’d think that would go without saying.

I did become curious about this so I searched around to find out how a user could attain the ‘cred’ to have that ‘power’. I found it and quickly concluded I’d never have the time or interest to qualify. So I’ll just wait to be pushed off. :roll_eyes:

I have never figured out or cared to edit any post . Level 3 , lounge . BFD .

1 Like

What’s funny is that I had no idea about any of this until someone told me about it.

I am a little torn about this function. On one hand, it would be better the original poster or the moderator change the title instead. e.g. any of us can ask the original poster or moderator to change it. On the other hand, we only have one main moderator and it can suck up a lot of time for doing these things.

This is similar to many political debates. The “personal freedom” vs the “greater society well being”. Is it more important to original poster to preserve the right to his/her post (even if you think it is wrong), or is it more important “correct” the title for the greater good for the rest of the readers.

It is more important to preserve the right to his or hers post . Less government . PLEASE.

2 Likes

I really need to get my thumb made smaller if I’m going to post via my iPhone. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Correction: a list of most recent regional posts is at the bottom of the Regional page

HO

So, from Midlife’s extract above, does this mean that if I never “like” a post again, I will lose my ability to tamper with titles?

If so, then consider that done. When the mischief starts (as it surely will in due course) I want no-one ever to even consider it might have been me - and this will be the guarantee of that

Regardless of whether posters gain the ability to change titles and/or content over time, HOW ABOUT NO ONE DO IT? Plain and simple. It’s completely presumptuous to do so, along with being rude to do so without asking the OP.

7 Likes

Just because now I can’t help myself . . . . . (and because at work right now I’m doing affinity analysis on some data and dealing with information hierarchy so mentally I’m right in this space all day)

This same argument (which I don’t subscribe to as a whole) holds true for every section on the homepage but no one seems to care.

There was a post in the “cooking” section of the homepage just now with the title “panko crusted frying” - well that could be in the “cooking, cookbooks, recipes” section or the “baking and sweets” section or the “vegetarian, vegan” section . . . . but no one seems to care. What if your favorite panko recipe was for pork cutlets but the actual post was in the vegan section? Or what if the OP was looking for dessert ideas for fried panko items (hmmm I wonder how a panko crusted donut would taste actually having just said that . . . . could that be the next cronut?).

I still maintain that a tag in the title for a specific city or sub-region of the board is super useful when the post is about a specific city or sub-region but that none is necessary if the post is in fact to the entire region. One small section of the homepage shouldn’t change that.

(of course - IMHO)

As was suggested, why not either PM or post to the OP pointing out that s/he make that edit in the title?

I posted a newspaper link about people in Boston renting chickens.
and was promptly reprimanded by some anal dude who could not connect Boston to Boston that I must include my location - which is not Boston - in the title.

I solved the problem - I edited the post to delete the offensive content and quit posting.

see how simple it is when the inmates run the insane asylum?

1 Like

My favorite thing used to be to discretely fix spelling… :wink:

1 Like

Interestingly, “discretely” gets 2,910,000 Google hits, while “discreetly” gets 8,720,000.

Just saying. :pensive:

3 Likes

My point, exactly.

That would be me, and I’m female. Your original title had no location at all, as it appeared among the new regional posts on the HO home page, so I politely reminded you of the site owner’s request that regional thread titles include location. Your overreaction included going back through my post history to find a post of mine, three months earlier, the title of which you could edit. I ignored the minor vendetta, which I trust made you feel better. I’d included Saugus in the title, but omitted MA. Though I did neglect to add the state, it is one of just three Sauguses on the planet; neither of the other two have a Hilltop Steak House. My apologies to Californians or Montanans in the unlikely event that any of them clicked onto it thinking it was about a place nearby.

1 Like

Discrete and discreet mean different things. In this instance, “discretely” is incorrect.

2 Likes

I would not welcome a title edit without first being consulted. I would though welcome spelling and grammar corrections. We (the human race) are devolving at a rate that is scaring the S_ _ t out of me. I read things sometimes and question my own sanity. I appreciate any and all input. For me not addressing a glaring mistake feels similar to not telling someone they have lipstick on their teeth, toilet paper on the bottom of their shoe, or that their fly is open. I love reading well written posts…they help me to improve my own writing…Hey if someone wants to clean up my writing bring it on…posting this solely on my on behalf.

2 Likes

I assumed the previous point was to discretely point that out, not to mention the inclusion of the split infinitive (which itself has a storied past).

This is a baffling thread. I could understand if amendments were challenging the character of the topic, but adding a location seems like a good idea. It doesn’t make the OP look stupid by any means (as someone fretted above).

As has already been noted, front page design impedes clear identification of location specificity, but more importantly, this could facilitate interaction with this site for someone using software for the blind of visually impaired. (The title might also improve googlability and thus outreach to another audience, but forget that.)

But whatever. I still can’t believe how many people are losing their shit over this. One would think that the title a,end,nets are more along the lines of what I had initially imagined when clicking on the topic.

7 Likes