Thoughts on my London dining schedule?

The menu looks excellent and I think I would rarely be at home if I lived closer! Looking at pictures on the internet, the food appears more ‘presented’ than at St John. And, in discussing this I have realised that what I like about St John is the deeply unassuming nature of the place. It would be interesting to see how you got on if you visited.

i should mention that ive been to bread and wine several times and that’s fine…at least its at the right price point.

st john was touted by anthony bourdain who, a long time ago, was very influential to american diners. i just never expected such a mediocre meal…along with such poor service. i recall on that trip to london, we ended up going to anchor and hope 2 nights out of the 5 we were in town. not sure how anchor and hope stacks up these days but back then, it was everything i hoped it would be. delicious, honest food served by friendly staff at a good price. food you cant (or couldnt at the time) get in nyc.

That typifies for me a modern Brit menu. In many ways, way more interesting than modern American. Can’t say anything about execution since i haven’t eaten there.
I will say that having eaten at St. John bread & wine several times, I’ve been less than impressed with the plainness of the food. I understand that it’s about simplicity and quality (I live in berkeley, ca and have dined at chez panisse for many years), but nothing I have had at St. John has wowed me with flavor in very many years. Service also seems perfunctory. We once had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to a large party of clueless adults and hords of screaming brats. What was insufferable was the attitude of the waiters when I was clearly distressed after having food flipped on me, my chair crashed into repeatedly and not able to hear my own dining companions because of the screeching kids. They couldn’t have given a shit.

Funny how opinions differ. I haven’t been to bread and wine for a few years but I always enjoyed the food greatly; found the service a bit stretched but that was never really a focus of mine. For a time it was probably the restaurant I’d been back to more than any other. For the first few years living in London I considered it a crime to frequent somewhere when there were so many alternatives but bread and wine seemed to be the exception. Thankfully I’ve chilled out on that now.

Looking at tonight’s menu makes me hungry, doesn’t look like they’ve changed the concept. Not been back since I was part of a party sharing the suckling pig menu they offer larger groups. It was a great end to our relationship.

Was never drawn to St John in the same way, but it continues to succeed and win awards. I think I just baulk at the prices for the pared down plates. Now that I live south of the river I’ve tried the Maltby Street outlet of St John a couple of times, but on both occasions I’ve felt a little disappointed, the menu seems fairly static and I can’t justify it when there’s the excellent 40 Maltby Street a few doors down. The first time visiting St John Maltby we commented that we thought it was pretty pricey despite the soft launch discount, and the waiter took pity on us, agreeing and deciding to take a dessert off. Can’t complain about the service.

Looking at the menu today it doesn’t look any different in price than bread and wine, maybe I’ve just moved on.

And to the mention of The Anchor and Hope, it was still going strong when I went a few weeks ago, and the staff still friendly. Their menu is normally seasonal, you can expect things like duck hearts and rabbits. Can’t say I’m not jealous of Harters’ proximity to that restaurant though.

Where did you end up eating? Any standouts? Oops, just saw and read your TR. thanks!

Have to disagree about St. John. I’ve eaten there twice–once as a solo diner last summer, and once with a group about a month ago --and it was great both times. The service was friendly and professional and the food was really very good. I suppose it’s not a menu that’s going to impress if you’re looking for or prefer more cosmopolitan flourishes.