The Very Real, Totally Bizarre Bucatini Shortage of 2020

Actually, I searched in some Italian language sites, and discover there is a third one in the same “bucati” format called Foratini.

Having lived in Italy for a while, I know there is quite a competition spirit between cities or even neighbouring villages, I remember an Italian explaining that they will label even food from the city next to their own as “exotic” food and eat only their own cuisine!

4 Likes

Another word which very precisely means “thing with a hole in it”. Brilliant. :grinning:

I search bucati, and there comes another pasta: Fusilli Bucati Corti

567302_8076809574631

2 Likes

It seems to me that because I’m an English speaker I try too hard to get all these names defined, and perhaps Italian speakers treat the words on the pasta box as more of a casual description. Maybe that’s far from the truth.

No, you’re right about whole thing, this fusilli has a hole!

1 Like

I went to the grocery the other day, and wanted to buy some lasagna. They were out of it - they had almost all their other pasta shapes, but I guess people around here were making leftover turkey lasagna or something. (I’d already read the bucatini article, but they didn’t even have a shelf label for that :slight_smile: ) It’s possible that I’ll break down and try making fresh lasagna pasta myself, but probably I’ll just hope the next grocery I go to in a few weeks isn’t out of it.

Trader Joe’s no-boil lasagna noodles contain egg, which makes them more flavorful, and they are quite tender. I was happy to find them because I liked Barilla no-boil, but have been boycotting Barilla since their head publicly extolled homophobia several years back (he later issued an apology that was as hollow as macaroni).

3 Likes

That’s bad, I didn’t know.

On the other hand, it might be best not to look too closely into the personal opinions of the heads of too many other companies (I don’t mean they’re all homophobic, just that they’re not all good examples), lest you start running out of things to eat.

I think there’s a significant difference between when an owner/boss maintains immoral private opinions, and when the business is being run immorally or there’s corporate promotion of immorality. But there isn’t always a clear-cut distinction. And I think an owner/boss CAN do or say something privately that’s bad enough to boycott their company.

1 Like

Looks like Barilla has done a lot since the controversy began.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-05-07/barilla-pasta-s-turnaround-from-homophobia-to-national-pride

2 Likes

The article talks about people (and I quote) “accusing Barilla of homophobia”.

You can’t really say that someone is “accusing” him, when he proudly said it himself on a national radio show. What they were doing by calling him homophobic was recognizing an obvious fact, not making an accusation.

“Look, our new CEO and CFO are gay, and Mr. Barilla has been forced to retire and turn over all his personal assets to the corporation, except a house and a car” doesn’t seem to be what’s happening here, though I didn’t read the whole story.

The story from the CEO, implying that he had no idea about Mr. Barilla’s views until he heard them on the radio that fateful day: Really? Come on.

3 Likes

Went to Safeway, and they not only had lasagna (which I have now made), but also had bucatini :slight_smile: So I’ll have to try some soon. I don’t remember the brand.

3 Likes

Unfortunately Bucatini can be a little hard to find in my smallish town, especially since our best grocery store moved out. Damn! But a great new one is moving in, thankfully. To hedge our bets, we usually pick up a couple of packages at the Greek Festival every year - which of course didn’t happen in 2020. Since we use Bucatini in our pastichio, as well as other Greek dishes, I’ll get some ordered. Good to have a heads up, but sounds like a hyped shortage, or one that’s been resolved? Didn’t read entire thread.

1 Like

There may have been some industry politics involved, plus covid shortages caused many factories to double-down on plain spaghetti and the other most popular items. If it isn’t fully back to normal, it will be soon enough.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidPF - will get some ordered, as is a must have, most especially before upcoming Greek holidays (Easter) which we celebrate for cultural tradition.

At this point I have seen dry bucatini sold for $8.00 a lb pkg…:upside_down_face:

H went to the wholesale restaurant supply shop, I asked him to get some bucatini, he could only find Barilla Bucatini, which he bought 1 box. He also got the following to test out: Zitone nº19 from De Cecco and Garofalo’s Zita.

Similiar shape to bucatini, Zita suits very well as a drinking draw, while Zitone nº19 is like close to a bubble tea drinking straw. Very messy to eat and didn’t have the al dente feeling of bucatini. I think those are suitable as short pasta rather than long ones.

Need to order bucatini from online sources.

6 Likes

Ok, I panicked and ordered 2 packages from Zingerman’s, along with some pastrami, and a few vinegars, and pantry staples. Of course H came home from the store with two boxes today. Oh well, looking forward to the deli meat, and other items. First time ordering from them. Can’t wait to provision the old way once again, when safe.

1 Like

The pasta cooked up surprisingly rope like. Is that typical? I wasn’t expecting it to look that way.

Do you mean the zitone in the picture? Or maybe something you bought recently? Rope-like in what way?

I mean you’ll need a fork and knife vs. fork twirling. Not sure I would enjoy dried pasta that way.