The Usual Suspects [Greater Boston, MA]

@bear Thanks for posting about Revival. Had read about it several times and when I go into the office, I bike to Alewife and I have seen the sandwich board sign pointing in the direction of the café but I never seem to have time to make a detour. I need to reprioritize!

2 Likes

What’s the fat content in your ground veal, pork? What do you use for weight? Last time I tried a country pate I got overzealous with the weight and it was dry as sawdust.

I try for fairly fatty on the ground pork and take what I can get on the ground veal which for me is increasingly hard to find. For a standard size loaf pan I use a foil-wrapped brick which I bought brand new for that purpose.

Some very fun and food-oriented colleagues who live in other parts of the country were in town last night and we went to Bambara. We were in a sort of oval high-backed booth in a corner which was just perfect as it cocooned us away from the rest of the room and was very comfortable – there were 5 of us but it would have fit 6 no problem. We started with well-made cocktails and an order of the decadent thick-cut fries. Then 3 folks had the wild mushroom soup which they all loved, another had the burrata with peppers and tapenade which was very tasty and I had the little gem salad with tahini Caesar dressing which was excellent as always. While we were eating these I was telling everyone how killer the dry-aged burger is there and the senior guy there (who would pick up the check, gotta love those expense accounts!) flagged our waiter down and said “we just heard how great your burger is and we all want to try it. Can you ask the kitchen to make us one and cut it up so we can all have some?” So after a bit out comes a burger, nicely cut up into 6 wedges, each wedge beautifully skewered with one of those long bamboo picks so it’s possible to pick it up and eat it – really nice job by the kitchen and everyone swooned over their bites of burger. And of course with it came more of those amazing fries. Luckily we’d all gone small with our mains: 2 of us had the small portion of cavatelli with spicy lamb ragu, feta and mint, 2 had the small portion of spinach and cheese ravioli with squash, sage and toasted hazelnuts and one had the warm hummus with fall vegetables. Both pastas were divine, didn’t taste the hummus. We had a nice bottle of Montepulciano. The online menu is not up to date and I have no sweet tooth so hazy on the desserts everyone else shared – there was a roasted apple tart, pumpkin crème brulee and beignets of some sort – and then I was a bad influence (again!) and we all ended up with glasses of nonino. Such a thoroughly pleasant evening!

4 Likes

Just thought I’d give a shoutout to Area 4 Cafe in Kendall. We stopped in for a breakfast sandwich this morning and were reminded why they have our favorite. Our winning combo is egg, extra cheese, caramelized onions and banana peppers on a house-made English. Very satisfying. The baked goods are also top-notch. We split a buttery raspberry and cheese Danish for dessert and were quite happy. The Barrington coffee is also very good, but a bit weak for our tastes. I’ll stick with the excellent cappuccino next time. The young woman behind the counter was really warm and helpful and clearly a fan of the food. A nice and tasty way to spend a day off.

5 Likes

Edit: this is about the Davis location of Revival
Two pieces of info (probably need a new thread, mods)- Revival is now open til 5 weekdays! And they have free seltzer on tap! What’s not to love?!

I had the kale salad there the other day- very generous portion, lots of crunchy bits and add ins that make it eat like a lunch. I’m still undecided on the English muffin- maybe my memory is faulty, but it doesn’t seem quite up to the deliciousness standard of Crema’s homemade English muffins. It doesn’t have any cornmeal or obvious griddling.

1 Like

Figured I’d post a couple of pics from our Monday holiday breakfast sandwich at A4. It’s probably my favorite breakfast sandwich, although I do like Revival, and Flour’s is pretty delicious, too. It’s the usual extra cheese, caramelized onions and banana peppers. And, because that wasn’t rich enough, a strawberry cheese danish for dessert.

6 Likes

I was out and about at lunchtime today and stopped into Clover DTX. Had their Roman Tomato Soup, which is garnished with small housemade potato chips and grated Pecorino. Absolutely fantastic soup!

5 Likes

You’re a bad one Ms. GretchenS.

I’ve an antipathy to Clover, but so stratospheric is my regard for you that I’ve resolved to try this soup. If I stop posting after I’ve had it, the HO community will know whom to applaud.

1 Like

I don’t know fooddabbler. In your place I think I’d figure there is too much deliciousness out there to risk having my antipathy flavor the food. My feelings won’t’ be hurt. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, yeah, so you say – but watch over the years, if I do not try that soup, how the cordiality between us will curdle.

More food-focused – that soup seems brown for tomato. Is that the Roman bit?

And was it a Roman-tomato soup, or a Roman tomato-soup, if you get my drift?

(If only there were a poster here with tomato-tomato expertise…)

1 Like

Maybe. Who wants to know? :wink:

Though your query makes me wonder if the soup was intended to be a Roma tomato soup, as in a soup made with Roma tomatoes.

The mind boggles.

2 Likes

From the Clover website: “Martina grew up in Rome. Her family friends own a restaurant called Pecorino (look it up if you find yourself on those beautiful streets) where they make a dish called frittata di patate. Martina sent Ayr there when he took his family to Rome, and he agreed: what a cool dish. Made with canned tomatoes, mashed potatoes, lots of olive oil and garlic, the frittata di patate ends up looking kind of like a cake. Our Roman Tomato Soup is an homage to that food memory. We make it daily in small batches with the same ingredients and care: sautéing onions, adding garlic and lots of olive oil, adding the best canned tomatoes, some potatoes, local carrots, and house veg stock. Because of the olive oil and the potato, this soup is naturally creamy.” Then they top it with Pecorino and potato chips and a swirl of olive oil.

4 Likes

Potato in soup… I would never have thought about doing that. I might give that a try the next time.

2 Likes

That does sound very good.

Tasty Mo:Mo: isn’t a “usual” suspect for us either but we got back there this week and enjoyed chilli mo:mo: with beef, kothey with pork, and goat curry (on special). The chili sauce was great, with lots of roasted pepper flavor as well as warmth. Both fillings were nicely seasoned, as was the curry (we all like goat, bones and chewiness and all).

The staff told us they’re moving across the street next month (where Esquina’s Lanches is/was) and promise an expanded menu. I’m planning to check it out after they’re settled in to their new digs.

Got dessert from Modelo’s next door; the flan and lime cheesecake (made with Catupiry, I think) were both good. My dining companions say that the selection is even better at lunch. I’m going to have to check out their savory pastries at some point.

Tasty Mo:Mo has become a pretty regular haunt for us. I’m interested to see what their expanded menu will have (although I have to admit that, despite having visited several times, we find it difficult to move away from ordering pretty much the same thing every time).

1 Like

It had been far too long since I had been to Qingdao Garden in North Cambridge so I stopped by for a late lunch today. Ordered the pork and leek dumplings, and from the Cold Dishes section, the Szechuan spicy Chinese cabbage. The latter came out right away and my delightful waitress suggested I might like some white rice with it as the dumplings would take 15 minutes. Am I ever glad she did! The cabbage was fabulous but, even with white rice, so spicy I was sweating slightly and my nose was running. But it was sooo good, as were the dumplings. I was late enough that by the end it was me and staff meal which is always fun.

6 Likes

We had lunch at Tasty Mo:Mo today and discovered that they’ve made their move. The new space is bigger with more seating (maybe 8 or 9 tables, plus a counter with a few seats). Their printed menu is the same, but it looked like they had some more options on handwritten signs (including thali, which I don’t remember seeing before).

2 Likes

This is a tale of two meals on a single day. Neither place is a “usual suspect” for us, but one of them, I suspect, will become one, hence I park these comments here.

Had a late lunch with a visiting friend at Miracle of Science last week. Hadn’t been in a while and I was struck by how well executed everything was. The guacamole was beautifully balanced, the chips crisp and greaseless, and the skewer plate (one chicken, one beef) enormous for $15. The meat was charred on the outside and moist inside, there was a delicate flat bread on one side and beans and all sorts of other items on the other. We also had a simple green salad, and like the other things we ordered the execution was perfect – a nice mix of greens, with a light dressing well-balanced between acid and oil. We’ll be going back more often.

That night four of us went to Marliave, a place I’d avoided till now. We’d eaten at “old Boston” places in that general area in the past, and had not been impressed, so had skipped Marliave. But it may now be the only surviving old place, and it seemed something we should check out. It does have a certain faded charm (we sat in a booth downstairs), with a tiled floor, chipped in places, and a bathroom the size of a Manhattan studio. The food was presented with a flourish, each hot dish under a domed cover, lifted dramatically by the server, but after all that drama, boy, was it bad! My wife’s omelette looked and tasted like a sheet of rubber wrapped around mushrooms that gave every impression that they’d come from a can. My fish and chips were both greasy, the chips sprinkled overly heavily with dried rosemary. The oysters were tiny and tasteless. The only halfway decent dish was the cauliflower soup. My g&t was OK, as well, and this place might be worth a drop-in for a simple drink and perhaps some soup, just for the sepia charm.

4 Likes