The US & UK: Divided by a common culinary language

okra vs. lady fingers?

Knickers for panties, shite or drop the e and so on. I think I have told this story sometime before, but when my UK colleagues came to town when a certain movie was playing in the theaters, they were stunned that you could put a certain word on a marquee. The Spy Who Shagged Me. Not a word used in polite company there versus a rug here. Thereā€™s another word that I wonā€™t use but would normally stop a conversation here but is commonly used in the UK and doesnā€™t mean much more there than arse. Then thereā€™s the mistaken perception of what the word is. For example there is a store FCUK. French Connection UK. When they opened up in NYC and had adds out, people were just aghast. I told some people look again at the sign and read the letters. That was amusing.

1 Like

That gets confusing in places where lady fingers could be a vegetable, or a baked good.

1 Like

Such as the UK, where trifle sponges are also known as ladyā€™s fingers

2 Likes

Same here. Both the soft lady fingers used for Charlotte Russe or trifle and the hard Italian lady fingers that get soaked for tiramisu.

But I assume okra is okra in Canada?

1 Like

Itā€™s okra in most stores, lady fingers in some stores with more South Asian shoppers, sometimes the label says ā€œokra/lady fingersā€. Iā€™ve seen it labeled ā€œokra/bamiesā€ in Torontoā€™s Greektown.

Sometimes translated to Lady Fingers in Indian restaurants in Canada, usually along with bhindi.

I would think some grocers have it labelled bhindi, in some suburbs of Toronto and Vancouver.

2 Likes

But ā€œbhindiā€ is just the Hindi word for okra, not (yet) an alternative Eng-language word. Itā€™s like seeing garlic labeled ā€œajoā€ in a bodega.

As for ā€œlady fingersā€ meaning two different kinds of foods, consider ā€œdolphinā€ .

And similarly, dishes in our house are not ā€œhotā€; they are either ā€œcalienteā€ or ā€œpicante.ā€

1 Like

Ohhhh letā€™s talk about ā€œandouilleā€ vs ā€œandouiletteā€. Not the same thing at all

Isnt this a French/American difference? AFAIK, neither generally appear in British culinary language.

FWIW, I have eaten both and despise the latter - especially Andouilette de Cambrai (which I bought in Cambrai as an edible souvenir).

The people in Canada who call okra lady fingers in English tend to overlap with the people who call okra bhindi.

I know a couple dozen Greek-Canadians who call okra bamies, while speaking English, and donā€™t ever call them okra. If I post a photo of okra on Instagram, someone will comment: nice bamies!

Might just be a metropolitan Toronto and Montreal thing.

In the States and Canada, Andouille will mean the sausage from Louisiana, used in Jambalaya and Gumbo, which isnā€™t stinky and doesnā€™t contain chitterlings.

This is the culinary misunderstanding that led me to unintentionally ordering the Stinky type in France.

It would be a ballsy French chef in North America who would serve the stinky type of Andouille / Andouilette with a warning.

3 Likes

Definitely a word to either read or have the context of.

Bhindi - okra

Bindi - the coloured dot on the forehead, often worn by Hindus

1 Like

Thirty years ago (or so) I read a novel in which someone encountered andouilette in some rural town. From the description, I was sure the author was making it up.

Unlikely. It is one of the most awful things ever.

While the origin of the name is French, the products exist in the English speaking world enough to ensure that confusion will happen.

I tried to like itā€¦I really did. I appreciate the tradition of ā€œeverything but the oinkā€, and J appreciate the skill it takes to make the perfectly formed spirals.

I tried it from Medaille dā€™Or winners across Franceā€¦enough to say I made the effort and that I dont feel bad for disliking it.

When it was on the menu in the cafeteria wherein worked, Iā€™d pack my lunch and eat in another building. I canā€™t even bear the smell.

2 Likes

I have only ever tried the one from Cambrai. This genuinely smells like shit and tastes what I assume shit would taste like. I cannot recall ever trying to eat anything else so unpleasant. One bite and I was done with andouillette for life.

3 Likes

Pasta marinara (US) - pasta with a tomato sauce

Pasta marinara (UK) - pasta with seafood in a tomato sauce

2 Likes

The UK definition is totally logical, linguistically (moules mariniere anyone?)

Even though Iā€™ve spent a considerable amount of time in the UK (work and holiday that one would trip me up.

Cocktail sauce:
In the UK, isnā€™t cocktail sauce usually Marie Rose sauce?

North America:
Cocktail sauce= Ketchup & horseradish

It did with us in reverse many years back. Ordered it in the States and nearly sent the dish back as there was no seafood in it.

Usually but not always. The story goes that the chef making lunches for the conservers working on the Tudor warship, Mary Rose, made it from mayo and ketchup, in the 70s. But I gather thereā€™s some evidence of something similar predating that.

FWIW, a celebration meal in the 1970s for people like me usually invloved a visit to the Berni Inn steakhouse chain. The classic meal of the time would be prawn cocktail, steak & chips (always with a grilled mushroom and half a tomato), followed by Black Forest Gateau.

3 Likes