The Supper Club experience in the Upper Midwest explained

Visited friends years ago in Wisconsin…Friday night was a fish fry at the local supper club with walleye and Manhattans.

Saturday we took the pontoon out and went water-skiing, then grilled Tbones for dinner along with corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, and baked potatoes, then a passionate euchre tournament with cold Olys.

Thats about as Midwest as it gets.

(Baked potatoes = jacket potatoes
Oly=Olympia beer (low budget beer)

5 Likes

I have a fond memory of visiting one in 2002, on my drive from Montana to Ontario. Relish trays on each table.

1 Like

Being a WIonite, I have fond memories like those to which you allude. Friday fish, perch or walleye, big choice to make.

I sure remember when Oly was popular. Uff.

That WI was the one I grew up in, though I was in Milwaukee, we traveled to a cottage my grands had on a lake. Corn on the cob, steaks and baked potatoes. Asparagus was the green of choice. Glad we still have supper clubs around. Just ate at my local one a few nights ago. It was just a place that families frequented, so you ran into old friends ll the time. My parents would walk around BSing with their friends. I’d eat as many garlic breadsticks and rye chips as I could.

Fond days. Thanks for the relive.

4 Likes

Mine too. Lord knows how many times I fell asleep while the adults played euchre.

2 Likes

How does a beer from Tumwater, Washington get traction in Wisconsin, home of Blatz, Schlitz, Miller . . .

2 Likes

I’m reading aloud this thread to B (a Buckeye, who collected beer cans and said, “but Olympia is from WA State,” which sure enough @BoneAppetite chimed in with.

And euchre stirs up good memories for him. He and his HS buddies all play when they get together.

Diamond Grille was near Akron downtown, not far from his childhood home. I don’t think it qualifies as a supper club, after reading this thread, but maybe in my East Coast sensibilities, it did? It always intrigued me but we never went. Now that his mom is gone, we have little reason to visit Akron. Columbus, we do, for a football game.

2 Likes

Diamond Grille is still going strong. It was a favorite of the golf pros in town for the tournaments at Firestone Country Club (PGA Tour has moved on). Not really a supper club, but old-time classic menu.

I lived in IN through middle school, then moved to Akron for high school (go Griffs!). As much as there is to love about northeast Ohio - the amazing Summit County Parks, Blossum Music Center (and the Cleveland Orchestra), Don Drumm, the food scene in Akron is in a state of decline.

My dad still goes occasionally to a Sunday night supper club organized at the Turkeyfoot Island Yacht Club (there is such a thing :wink: ) in the Portage Lakes on the south side of Akron .

2 Likes

Where in IN? I actually grew up there, but the weekend above started in Madison

Hammond, not exactly a garden spot.

Growing up there, in Wisconsin, the supper club cocktail of choice is a usually a Brandy Old Fashioned, Sweet. The recipe

1 sugar cube muddled with a splash of bitters and a splash of 7 up in a large rocks glass. Fill with ice then add 1-1/2 oz brandy and top off with more 7 up. Garnish with a orange slice and a maraschino cherry on a skewer.

Nothing like an old fashioned you’d receive anywhere else in the Country.

3 Likes

Just played this with a friend from Michigan. Was talking to my Dad about it, he learned from his Dad and a grandfather. Such a WI/MI staple.

1 Like

In case any of you experienced Supper Clubbers are ever in Brooklyn and get nostalgic. Or just want to mock us crazy NYers!

https://turksnyc.com/about/

1 Like

I was in the northeast, between Ft Wayne and South Bend. You know you live in a hopping place when the population of hogs is greater than the population of people.

2 Likes

My grandparents farmed 80 acres in Wabash County, so I know the fragrance. I have fond memories of a canoe trip on the St. Joseph River near South Bend.

2 Likes