The Sounds of Cooking and Eating

grinding coffee beans in the morning
chop-chop-chopping all the things for my mise
butter sizzling in the pan
toast popping out of the toaster
the fat crackling of roasting meats in the oven
the crunch of biting into crispy things

4 Likes

The name of the Japanese dish “shabu-shabu” is onomatopoeic with its origin stemming from the “swish-swish” sound when the ingredients are stirred in a pot with chopsticks.

5 Likes

The opening of a Champagne bottle. It’s supposed to sound like a lover’s sigh, but more often than not, it’s a loud pop, sometimes followed by the sound of the gushing of an expensive purchase.

I have, on more than one occasion, seen someone react to the gushing by putting their mouth to the bottle!

4 Likes

The sizzle of bacon. Or eggs. Or home fries. Or sautéing vegetables. Or putting chicken into a hot pan to brown.
The brrrrr of an electric mixer.
The pop of toast coming up from the toaster.
The soothing chop-chop-chop of mincing herbs.
The DING! of the microwave or timer for whatever you’re cooking.
The POP! while pulling a cork out of a new wine bottle.

8 Likes

Pure poetry!

6 Likes

Ludwig van Beethoven would be so proud.

2 Likes

Close enough @shrinkrap :smiley:

2 Likes

This thread is a growing collection of food ASMR :smiley:

1 Like

And drinking?
The clink of the ice as you swirl it around in the rocks glass before that first icy sip.

6 Likes

The large rocks in particular make a noticeable clonk.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I’m going to have to check out Flux Gourmet. It looks too weird to pass up.

You’ve obviously read the review of the premiere of his 3rd Symphony, where the reviewer said that it sounded like a bag of nails being dropped, with a hammer here and there! :woozy_face:

A brilliant piece of music, btw!

I swear that’s the exact same pot (and coffee) my parents had when I was a kid. It always smelled great in the morning.

4 Likes

Yeah, my parents had that same coffee pot, too, so when the commercial came out, I assumed that EVERYBODY had that pot at home!

1 Like

That was our camping coffee pot.

1 Like

I love cooking sounds too, especially sizzling in a hot pan or wok. Best if it’s also accompanied by the aroma of ever so slight charring. Generally chopping (but not the pounding of a cleaver) and whisking sounds I find comforting. The high pitched sound of a kettle though is la bit too piercing for me.

While cooking sounds are ok, eating sounds are a different matter. I definitely have misophonia around this, because I absolutely cannot stand loud chewers and weird eating sounds. If I’m sitting down with with others for a meal, usually that’s fine. For whatever reason, there are folks who chew with a lot of food smooshing, lip smacking sounds - and I don’t mean eating crisp founds that naturally make more sound. They eat and chew like a horse. Those bizarre trends of muk-bang eating videos which is just an hour of the most irritating chewing and slurping sounds. That would be my hell. It sends me into a flying rage.

2 Likes

the /fwoomp/ when the stove gas finally catches fire

the last few tiny pops of water boiling off before browning butter goes quiet
(also when caramelizing sugar via the wet method)

the crust on fresh bread crackling as it cools

crunching feuilletine (small bits of crepe flakes)

chocolate bars pinging as they contract and release from the molds

2 Likes

That is an awesome sound, also a little creepy, because the bread sounds alive.

1 Like

Oh, yes, Japan has heaps of onomatopoeic expressions for most every category.

Of course, food – and food-related sounds – have played a big role in developing those phrases: https://somedayjapan.com/food-onomatopoeia/.