The Quick Bread Thread

Not a quick bread but since the subject of sinking fruit came up. This is my favorite recipe for blueberry muffins. Put fresh blueberries in the freezer for a few hours. Fold in at the last minute and bake. They don’t sink. Between the oatmeal, blueberries and brown sugar I almost feel like I’m eating something healthy. But then there’s the butter.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I did all 3 things this time. Used a thicker batter and saved some fruit for the end per your recommendations, and also macerated all the berries for several hours, getting quite a lot of liquid off (liquid went back into the batter as part of the called-for liquid).

The fruit pieces were pretty evenly distributed throughout, and I avoided the over-wet problem I’d had before.

Daughter 3 was home briefly from college, so I made this one GF using KA’s “measure for measure” GF flour. I think that’s what that one is called (not positive because I used it all up) - it’s the one that says it’s for non-yeast leavened baking.

Also puffed up some aged blackberries in a simple syrup, crushed them through a sieve, and drizzled the sweetened pulp atop just as it went into the oven.

Anyway, thanks again because this one turned out much better than my earlier attempt.

4 Likes

This one looks interesting (gift link). No mixer or kneading required.

1 Like

I’ve made that bread , although it’s a yeasted bread, innumerable times and can attest to its deliciousness. We had it in Ireland in many places and the cookbook has included the recipe with an attribution to Doris Grant. David Lebovitz also has a nice article regarding the bread. Definitely worth making, it’s especially good with Irish flour.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information. Now I want to make it even more. Will post results when I do. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you will love it!:heart_eyes:

1 Like