The NYC Pizza thread

I was looking for a pizza spot around midtown west for a friend today, and after searching through the many scattered pizza mentions, I remembered I had thought a single pizza thread might be worth having.

So. NYC Pizza.

Please mention:

• Slice or Pie
  • Seating

Feel free to link old reports here as well.

2 Likes

Want to merge with this thread?

1 Like

I saw that, but it’s from 2015 and soliciting specific recs for a trip

I think a stand-alone thread that covers everything makes more sense, which doesn’t exist yet

1 Like

LITTLE ITALY PIZZA (UWS)

• NY Slices (and assorted other things)
  • Seating inside (thought you may miss it standing outside) and lots more outside in good weather
  • This one makes some best-of lists, but i much prefer other places in the neighborhood

MOTORINO (UWS)

• Neapolitan
  • Full restaurant
  • I know it’s a darling, but I have not had good experiences here — ie soggy middle, straight out of the oven, giant wet puddle, no thank you

FRANCESCO’S (UWS)

• NY slices and plenty more (incl pasta)
  • Lots of seating, but not a fancy restaurant, just a pizza place
  • Good slices, good standard italian american fare (like chicken and eggplant parm) you’d expect at this kind of place

LA TRAVIATA (UWS)

• NY slices
  • A few seats inside, they added outside seating during the pandemic but it’s really more of a takeaway spot
  • Best pizza in the neighborhood imo

Ok
Tavola, 9th Ave/38th St/. Quite good. Neapolitan style. Whole pies only. When really busy they forget to rotate the pie, though, so remind the waiter when you order.

Longo Bros. 9th Ave/37th St. As above but they DO turn the pie. But don’t say ‘pie,’ as it upsets the owner. Whole pies only.

99-cent or ‘buck a slice’ joints are all over Manhattan, almost all now up-priced to $1.50. Any one of them may be better or worse than others, but not necessarily the next time to stop it… Most are adequate for sustenance and best viewed as purveyors of New York’s Unofficial Vitamin B-12 providers. Most are small, w/1- or 2-people working like dogs in cramped, hot, dark spaces. In these places, I tip.

1 Like

Juliana’s - 19 Old Fulton Brooklyn
I have been going to this spot for pizza since the place was called Patsy’s, there were no internet food sites and a not so old guy with the same name came by your table to ask how ya doin? Oh, and back then I could get a parking spot out front 9 times out of 10. Stayed through the name change but stopped going shortly after the ownership change as the pizza was markedly going downhill. Wrote the first review in CH when it reopened with an older familiar guy prowling the room. A sentimental favorite. I always get a roasted pepper and sausage pie.

1 Like

I’m a Motorino fan…especially when I have a hankering for sausage and onion, as very few places (in my experience) do that, and Motorino does it well for my tastebuds. Yes, it’s a bit soggy in the middle, but it is cooked, and soggy is a Neopolitan pizza feature, not a bug.

Also:
SONG 'E NAPULE (UWS)

• Neopolitan, whole pies
    *Full restaurant (reservations recommended, though there are sometimes a few seats at the bar)
  • I’m a fan. I’ve only eaten the margarita, but it’s better than the pizza I had in Naples last summer

MAMA’S TOO (UWS)

• Slices or pies
  • Not sure about seating, I’ve only had delivery
  • I’m particularly fond of their square pies. I eat a slice and freeze the rest; reheats like new and I have pizza for the year.

Both of these options better than La Traviata, in my opinion, though I’ll grab a slice from La Traviata, if I am out and nearby and hungry.

1 Like

Scarr’s
Gas oven
LES
Slice or Whole
Seating, but no tableservice

1 Like

Manero’s
Gas Oven
Chinatown / Little Italy
Slice or Whole
Seating, but no tableservice

Patsy’s
Coal fired
East Harlem / UES
Slice or Whole
Seating with tableservice

Gosh I haven’t been to Patsy’s in years. Used to be a favorite when you wanted to get together with a few people for pizza that wasn’t counter service. The rolls tided you over till the pizza showed up.

@ipsedixit no qualifiers for any of them?

Except there are degrees of soggy :joy: - and puddle is not my favored degree

(Maybe they were off the days I went, or I just don’t like their bake.)

1 Like

FIORENTINA (midtown west)

• Slices, NY and grandma
  • The usual takeout spot seating
  • Very nice especially for a blind pick — thin, crisp crust, good sauce and cheese ratio

This is where we ended up today after some photo research.

The grandma slices looked good too, though we didn’t get any.

Totonno’s on Coney Island is back serving pizza.

For a long while it looked like it would never reopen from the pandemic, as the family pursued a model of selling online for shipment only. I guess that didn’t work out.

Right now the schedule looks like weekends only. In the summer I saw they were open during the week as well.

This is a pizza worth traveling for, though I was there only before the pandemic.

• louie and ernie’s
  • style: ny slices
  • comments: as you can discern from the pictures, the homemade sausage is balled and added to the slice and, as one might imagine, balls are wont to roll. Still, highly recommended, fantastic, old-school pizza.

2 Likes

FIORENTINA – adding pics

2 Likes

Not really.

When I’m in NYC, I just really want the quintessential NYC slice.

And those spots sort of hit the spot for me.

looks really good, will have to get over there. I hope you don’t mind, I asked a moderator if they’d consolidate your pictures with your original post on the place.

1 Like
  • sal & carmines
  • style: ny slices
  • comments: opened in 1957, not really a destination or bucket list spot but a great neighborhood joint, thin crust, good sauce and lots of cheese culminating in a breadier cornicione. One of my friends complained that newer pizza joints have achieved a perfect balance of sauce and cheese but he wanted to experience again the cheesy, kinda greasy slice of his yut. This is that place.

3 Likes