The Mediterranean Diet is a Whitewashed Fantasy

I’m tired of the whole nonsense. One’s personal health is made up of so many more factors than weight or body fat. But if we weren’t endlessly and viciously body-shaming women, how would the pharma and beauty industrial complex do? Won’t someone think of the loss in profits! /s

5 Likes

Agree

It was an example to illustrate the significance in body composition versus just weight.

No one is saying that 15% body fat is or is not healthy.

1 Like

Any reliable source for that statement?

Oh- the triggering comment was the 120 b person with 25 percent body fat being less metabolically healthy than the 120 lb person with 15 percent body fat

That

1 Like

I’m 5’8" and would look like I’d been in a gulag if I weighed 120lbs.

2 Likes

I’m 5 foot 6, and I won’t lie. I liked being 120 lbs when I was 16 and when I was 22. The only problem is, I don’t like Diet Snapple and the only one way I could maintain 120 lbs long term would be to subsist on unlimited Diet Snapple, a bagel for lunch, and steamed vegetables for dinner.

1 Like

It may have been scientifically debunked, but it sure seems like a lot of people in the health care and insurance industries still use it as a meaningful yardstick.

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately. A nurse asked me last year if I was familiar with the BMI. I laughed.

3 Likes

This mysteriously popped up on my curated feed. :thinking:

“I often see wildly inaccurate messages like these as I scroll through social media or scan story headlines in my news feed… And as a registered dietitian (or RD), I find nothing (like nothing ) more frustrating. Not only because of the time and energy I spent obtaining and now maintaining my degrees and dietitian status, but also because it reinforces the confusion folks already feel around what’s considered healthy.”

6 Likes

I’d respond, of course.

images

6 Likes

I should’ve, being that I am a registered artist with them :smiley:

4 Likes

When I was in my early 20"s I asked a personal trainer who was doing my fitness assessment what % of body fat I should aim for. He said zero. I am of average height and weighed about 125lb at the time. The lesson I learned that day is to never listen to a personal trainer at a gym. In retrospect I should have informed his boss of that dangerous advice. I was shy back then.

12 Likes

Zero body fat? WTAF? For a woman, especially! The mind boggles :melting_face:

4 Likes

You yourself certainly at least implied it.

A 120 lb person with 25% body fat will be less metabolically healthy than 120 lb person with 15% body fat.

I got measured for body fat at my last checkup. I exercise regularly, my BMI was a bit under 20, but my body fat composition registered as … obese. My trainer called BS. Go figure.

5 Likes

Good for you to have a BMI of 20. My BMI is around 30 right now. I haven’t had a BMI of 20 since my early 20s, unfortunately. It’s hard for me to keep it at 25, and it’s been 10 years since I last had a BMI of 25. I’ve been exercising the whole time, but I eat when I’m stressed and I have a stubborn metabolism when it comes to losing weight.

#ICYMI: the BMI is meaningless. Or, to quote yet another line from No More Ice Cream Sundaes:

There’s more important stuff to ponder than your BMI -
like fascism, impending doom, and coconut cream pie!

:wink:

7 Likes

I thought this looked interesting;

2 Likes