The Mediterranean Diet is a Whitewashed Fantasy

When you start looking at specific foods, you find very good news. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/07/science-pork-fat-is-very-good-for-you/

There are too many individualized situations to ever be able to make a statement this is the most nutritious food. What may be my best choice may not be yours based on our individual genetics and gut biomes etc. I have specific issues I am working to resolve in my diet/numbers. For example, I am using a diet lower in saturated fats from meat products, very low in refined cards and high in fresh fruits and veggies. We eat pork regularly, but leaner cuts for now. When I get my bloodwork results at the end of this month, I will reassess based on how my numbers have changed and what is left to do.

I have no trust in the mass media and food recommendations. In fact, I think the mass media is a particularly bad source for anything factual. I prefer to see the actual studies myself. I have enough statistical background that I can read at lease the abstract and conclusions and the overview on methodology to see if it is something I need to incorporate/explore more.

1 Like

Very true, Dean. Each of us is different, and I share your distrust of food stories. Everything seems to cause or prevent cancer, depending on the article. I wouldn’t have posted this except that it comes via the BBC which as far as I know, doesn’t just invent things, as does our press., and because it’s so counterintuitive. It would be much better if they linked to the study. Articles always should do that.

1 Like

The fundamental problem is that the press does not have the expertise to cover technical subjects. The numerical idiocy of the people at the nytimes and the wash po are unreal. But it is little better in the UK. I am following a lot of nutrition research and even the british press is way off base once you actually read the article. But any further discussion will definitely be crossing a lot of lines.

2 Likes

I question the causation. Except for fishing, the precepts of a so called costal diet happen in areas of eastern european in mountainous regions. I come back to the role of saturated fats from red meat. All the areas mentioned are not meat centric places.

I also think that fermented foods play a huhge role. There is very little large scale data, but suggestive data from eating trials where each group of people ate a high fiber diet and then added fermented foods while the other group added fermented foods from the start. The fermented foods group had a number of health markers improve. Pickling and fermenting are common in many of the palces on your blue list.

At least I hope fermented foods are good for me as I am making and eating a lot. This week I have made white kimchi, kakdugi, sauerkraut {still fermenting} and water kimchi. So I will use confirmation bias to note every study showing good results from eating fermented foods. The Korean Kimchi mafia is sure to sponsor some as Koreans eat 65kg per capita of kimchi alone! That is about 6 oz a day just of Kimchi.

4 Likes

Well, yes, but that’s between my and my cardiologist, thankyewverymuch…

4 Likes

Husband is at a medical conference and shares there may one day be approved weekly injectables, currently marketed for diabetes, that also cause weight loss and may reduce the risk of the usual suspects, but way more easily than with diet and exercise.

2 Likes

I remember being in Austria My girlfriends grandparents were in a very small village. She grew up there .
Yes there was salted meats. Not alot. Venison. Mushroom and cream soups Cows with the bells on walking back to the barn. Chickens headed for bed
What they did after dinner . Was take a couple shots of the homade white lightning. Pear schnapps. And take a walk . They said it cuts the fats. In their 90’s .

5 Likes

These are all the rage already according to my doctor friend. Prescribable when meeting certain BMI/cholesterol, and/or other condition criteria.

1 Like

Yes. Apparently supplies are low, even for those with DM.

2 Likes

My friend’s GP was pushing Ozempic. My friend was worried what would happen if he started taking it, lost weight, then stopped taking it.

Turns out, for most people, the weight comes back quickly after they stop taking Ozempic. Understandably.

Choosing to start a drug can end up being a longer committment than one anticipates. Then, in the current world we live in, supply chain issues might lead to problems with access to the drug that you now need to keep taking.

2 Likes

I worry that all of those trendy weight loss medications are going to cause a flood of pancreas related illnesses.

4 Likes

More illness our healthcare system can’t handle

My primary care doc brought it (Ozempic) up with me for weight loss last fall. All my blood numbers show no indication of any prediabetic condition (no cholesterol or any other issues either). I need to get my blood pressure down (chronically high, despite medication). Still, the quickness that the word “no” came out of my mouth :rofl: I don’t need a quick fix to lose weight; I need to find time to exercise. My diet is fine. I wish doctors would stop being so quick to push this stuff.

5 Likes

They are really quick to push drugs.

Most people, if they’re able to lose weight (I’m trying) , can get themselves out of the pre-diabetic zone.

When what is considered to be pre-diabetic varies from country to country.

As far as I know (I’m not a doctor), 6.0 and up is still the line between normal and pre-diabetic for most doctors in Canada.

I know that the line where pre-diabetes starts and ends was lowered in the States.

I think medical treatment for diabetes might start for many people with a lower A1C in the States than for people with a similar A1C in Canada.
Edited to include:

1 Like

My doctor has 5.7 and up for prediabetes. I came in at 4.8 (“normal” apparently is 4.6-5.6 for my age, I guess, according to the chart). She really was just entirely overfocused on the weight (which does need to come down, but also, in the balance of things, not a major issue). So annoying.

3 Likes

4.8 is an exceptionally healthy A1C, better than normal. More like ideal.

I’m around 40 lbs overweight (BMI is 30 so I’m technically obese), and my A1C is a lot higher than 4.8.

1 Like

I think genetics plays a large role, larger sometimes than we think. I’m wired for high blood pressure. BF is wired for high cholesterol (we both follow a fish and plant forward diet, with occasional forays into terrestrial animal protein on the weekends or vacations). All we can do is try our best and still try to enjoy living our lives!

5 Likes

I don’t know your age group, but I found that diet (not dieting) is about the only thing that works for weight loss. Sure, exercise is good for you and your body, your overall health and mental well-being, but it does absolutely nothing if yer over 40, and leading a mostly sedentary life.

Unless you work out 5-6 days a week for HOURS, and who’s got time for that?

Small portions (like, sad small) of low cal stuff is the only way for me. And I’ve done it all, trust.

Well, save for pills bc that’s not how I roll.

1 Like

I’ve seen studies that suggest that too. And, what works for one may not for another. The exercise part is more around engaging in something that releases serotonins and helps to keep stress (and my BP) down. My own experience has been that I need to get some walking in (~30 minutes) about 5 days a week for my BP to come down. Not a huge commitment, but still more than my job and energy level let me get to these days. We all boil at different degrees, as Emerson said.

4 Likes