The Gumbo Thread - Texas/Louisiana

That is truly unfortunate!

Wow, brain gumbo! Who would of thought?

You said it was spicy and tasty. I think you’re onto something making you a cutting edge trendsetter. They’ll be on menus everywhere!

Maybe it was a hunk of something from a menudo dish. Was it chewy or??

Kind of like firm tofu. No harmful side effects, so I guess it was food! Hahaha.

2 Likes

Someone recently mentioned Gumbo Jeaux’s and I didn’t know it was so close to my daily commute. It has the highest rating of local Cajun places on Yelp, they say.

It also appeared on a Best Soups list, and also a Best Cajun list, so since I was hankerin’ gumbo, I went over for a late lunch, it being a small place. Nonetheless, the place was full at 1:00 and stayed that way until almost 2.

The gumbo wasn’t the best I’ve had, but it was very tasty and I’d get it again. Surprisingly given the name of the restaurant, there is only one type and offered in only one size for $6.95. It has shredded chicken, sausage and shrimp. No noticeable okra but they are said to exist in there. I had it as a premium side to the fried chicken, which turned out to be 5 full sized chicken wings. I’d have liked more spice in the batter, but plenty of hot sauces are available. This place has really reasonable prices. There’s a location very close to IAH on JFK also in case someone asks about airport area eateries again.

3 Likes

Went down a worm hole to dig this up.

I picked up my hungry brother at Hobby a few years back and the first thing he wanted to do was go to Tony Mandola’s Blue Oyster Bar. I had to break the bad news to him that it was closed, I’m sure Mama’s gumbo would have been involved.

We settled for Jaymes Coney Island.

Ah yes, the Blue Oyster Bar! Nowadays, both Mr. and Mrs. Mandola are at the Waugh restaurant often. Super lovely couple. They are the Houston Royalty, if there is such a thing. Talk about fusion…in the best way.

1 Like

I’ll have to include Johnny Carrabba and mother Rosie from the two original places. We go to the Kirby location and have seen Johnny there often, not just pressing the flesh but tasting sauces and talking to the cooks.

1 Like

Oh definitely! I went to the Original on Voss for the first time this year and liked that dining room, but Kirby is still my fav fo the two.

1 Like