The Evil Eggplant

I have a lot to say about spatulas. And spoons. I’m not a fan of spoons. Now ladles are a different thing. Forks. Chopsticks. The mind reels.

2 Likes

I take eggplant slice it about 1/4 inch -1/2inch, same with a vidallia (sweet onion) and throw the slices on my grill over a medium low heat. Just as the sides start getting crispy flip, brown other side. Off grill, chop, mix with spices and balsamic reduction, delicious summer time salad/side. (I serve it room temp)

2 Likes

I do the same thing with bananas.

And I do the flipping with spatulas.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t grill, but I bake sliced (or halved lengthwise if small) eggplant topped with vidalia slices that I’ve mixed with storebought bbq sauce or honey mustard dressing. The result is good hot, warm, or with melted cheese on a bun.

1 Like

Other than ratatouille (or it’s close Mallorcan cousin, tumbet), the only aubergine dishes we regularly prepare are Middle Eastern - moutabel is a favourite

1 Like

Moutabel, I believe is the Moroccan name, as it is written on their menus in Morocco and in Spain as well.

The Egyptian name is Bha bha gha nuj …

The Greek Name is Melitzanosalata.

The Moroccans and Spaniards may also use it - but it’s Lebanese/Syrian in origin. As is baba ghanoush. My local Syrian restaurant offers both. They are broadly similar but, according to the restaurant (and Google), moutabal includes tahini while baba ghanoush doesnt. I like the savouriness of the tahini.

2 Likes

Yes, they have their nuances.

I like both … however, I do like Tahini as well. Provides a complex texture …

Note: The Moors hailed from Syria and the neighbouring countries (Moghul Kings era) which traversed Sicily and Andalusia.)

1 Like