The diminishing SF food forum scene?

Among other effects, the last CH redesign made it impossible to use on my iPhone (without the app - I resist having an app for each Web page), even for basic reading. So far HO is fine in that respect. I can’t write more than a sentence or two on a mobile, but that may be age. I know a few people who can manage quite complex constructions. But overall, yes, the fragmentation of discourse isn’t helping.

In the FWIW Dept., I live in Berkeley, but – whether it’s here or on CH – I rarely posted on the SF board. I spent far more time on the boards of (e.g.) New Orleans, New York, Spain, London, etc.,etc. than I ever did on the SF board.

Chowhound has an app?

I actually have no idea. I can no longer keep track of which sites keep bugging me to download their app.

I never found out where it was. it was a sushi place for sure and the conversation was between KK and someone else. so that seems like it might be it…

I took/take from the SF board and would post little reviews but rarely felt many of the locals paid any attention. And, as has been mentioned by others, the inexpensive/reasonably priced places seemed to get short shrift. I’ve not had that ‘feeling’ about the NYC board.

I agree completely— I’ve tried to get friends to join CH, but they view it as a clunky dinosaur that they’ll lurk on but never post on.

@bbulkow , for a long time I’ve written posts in a mobile editing program (sometime with the help of Siri) and then pasted them into CH when I’m at a desktop. That’s a lot easier to do on Hungry onion because it saves drafts.

There’s no shortage of food trucks, popups, and restaurant openings outside SF proper. Unlike when CH started though, these types of places get “media” coverage now via places like Tablehopper, sfist, SF eater, sfoodie, neighborhood blogs, yelp’s new restaurant feature, etc. With so many information sources, you can take advantage of tips every night a week without investing any exploration or forum posts of your own.

Well, I take that back to some degree-- off the radar stuff gets coverage in SF/Oakland/Berkeley now, but the burbs and South Bay get very little coverage except for places that appeal to the masses.

On the related note of high-end restaurant coverage on CH, I never saw the point. Publicists, major food writers, the Michelin guide, etc have that covered, and the dishes tend to rotate enough that someone else’s experience will doubtfully map into yours.

2 Likes

I think it would be a great OP if you listed those referenced sites and maybe others will add to. I’d love it.

I don’t trust the media coverage and prefer the tips found here and previously on CH.

I suspect Yelp has likely had a huge impact, far above personality squabbles. They don’t appear directly comparable, since Yelp isn’t a forum, has a lot of people posting restaurant “reviews” that have nothing to do with the food, has dubious ratings, etc. But if you look at Chowhound (at least the regional forums) through the lens of “a place to help me find restaurants I’d have missed otherwise,” then Yelp is a serious competitor.

It also seems to me that CH’s interest in places outside “The City” itself dwindled gradually. I don’t know if that’s a fair perception, but I love to take random day trips all around the Bay Area from where I live (then in San Jose, for a few years in Foster City and now in Santa Clara), and in the early 2000s I always spent a bit of time on CH checking out where I was going first. By 2012, though, Yelp had pretty much completely taken over that role. If I was trying to see what’s happening in Martinez or Livermore or San Leandro, CH stopped really being a place that was going to tell me.

I was always more of a lurker than a major poster, so I’ve likely missed personality conflicts that others have talked about. (I may have an idea of a name or two nonetheless, but I’m not sure I’m right.)

3 Likes

Berkeley people who have too much money and don’t know better about their self-defined dysfunctional utility curve making a joke of their proclvities of thinking they must have the last word…

Spot on. Less risk in those other spots. I rarely saw anything original while living in New York that I hadn’t seen during my time in Cleveland. Nowadays when a concept opens in a big city, chances are it has already been vetted in a smaller city. It’s a complete reversal from 30 years ago when chefs would bring back new styles from the coast.

Of course its always nicer to post about something and have responses, but I don’t necessarily equate a lack of response to be a lack of interest. 145 people did read the thread. Truly unique and unusual finds won’t get a lot of responses because not many people have found it yet so they can’t really respond. In this day of restaurants’ PR machine getting the buzz up before the doors even open, there aren’t too many new places that people aren’t already aware of.

Now that I think about it, as participants of a board, perhaps we should encourage each other when we post about finds like that, acknowledge the effort, and thank the OP for alerting the site. I say kudos to you for posting about Ippo.

1 Like

Haven’t most of the courtiers moved with the king to a new court? Things should be peaceable here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is Dlovsky here yet?

That may be the case in America but it is most definitely the opposite in the UK. I can think of two Michelin 2* chefs who have very successful restaurants out in the regions but who have recently opened restaurants in London. In my own area of the country, I can think of other mid-range chefs who have moved, or are considering moving, from small towns/villages to the regional city.

I only lurk on CH now, to make sure I don’t miss anything, but I have to admit being captivated by the imagery of thread titles like “15 planetary scientists looking for good, cheap dinner.”

3 Likes

:slight_smile: I have no idea what this mean, but it sounds funny.

There may also be more safety and less creativity in large expensive cities? Cleveland’s Jonathan Sawyer or Houston’s Chris Shepherd might have a hard time getting traction in so-called sophisticated markets – probably not that much love for roasted pig’s head or goat and dumplings where prices are high.