The best xiao long bao you never had

It is traditional to dunk them in the vinegar or chili oil btw. I am so reverent that I ask for a soup spoon and eat off a spoon and plate just like XLB. When the juices inevitably spill, I ungraciously lift the plate to my mouth and slurp it down mmmmmm.

I’m going to get in the habit of moving them away for the bamboo steamer walls as well soon as it hits the table. They tend to stick and rip quite easily as they cool.

thanks digga, you might be old but still lit! honkman got no chill!

2 Likes

face it the food scene here is a chinese takeover! bye buh 1970’s harvard square!

A Lee 88’s Sichuan is top notch folks, up there with the best of the best, maybe not Noah’s Kitchen but certainly Our/Zone. I had smoked pork belly with leeks, a special. It’s smoked in house, a bit chewy but man that smoke phew hog heaven. Ma Po Tofu, 9 out of 10, I can’t do better at home. It’s a must try for just the Sichuan IMO, but the Shumai is just incredible!

3 Likes

Thanks, @anon6418899 this sounds absolutely fabulous! Worth the wait.

1 Like

This made me laugh out loud! I resolve to laugh more in 2022.

2 Likes

betty white! rip

tenor

3 Likes

thanks for the intel, man. And frankly I’m with digga, happy to put up with playtime as long as we get the goods, haha. appreciate the clue in to something new and the laughs. not to mention that what a functioning food board needs most is reviews and we don’t get that many these days!

4 Likes

Some other things I have sampled thus far. This is high quality. Noah’s Kitchen may be more ornate but I wouldn’t say “better”. Home runs so far! Sorry i put to many hashtags or something and it ate my descriptions.

4 Likes

You lost me at lamb, even though I do love how the dumplings look. The other food though looks fantastic. I’m never in Waltham, but I’ll have to add this to a list in case I’m ever in that 'hood.

Thanks for the report. I’m wiling to play along. I think of your reveal & style as just another “flavor” that adds to our board. I wonder if the title of your post is editable so now that the big reveal has happened, the name of the restaurant can be more easily found?

3 Likes

^ This. Being able to find a post is a huge deal. Otherwise people won’t be able to get their eyes on the good stuff!

The original post, title, and ensuing posts seem to not be editable, but I could be mistaken? I’m pretty sure this site is straight up https://www.discourse.org/features which does not show the feature to edit anything, except wiki style posts.

I could just make another post with the title A Lee 88 Chinese Restaurant if you like and blammo copypasta all the pertinent content in the first post.

2 Likes

Thanks for the intel. waltham is my neck of the woods will have to check it out!

I wasn’t a huge fan of one of the iterations in that location so had kind of written it off (I know, not fair to new owners but with Mulan and some other great options in the area - life’s Short). Sounds like it’s time to try it again.

1 Like

There, I fixed it!

Okay I did a full on writeup similar to a pro critic review but it meanders with my personal feelings and discovery about it with a few paragraphs on the gastronomics of shumai in a very informal tone.

3 Likes

I never went into Jin, Yummy Noodle or Jiang Nan, I could tell not for me. But I had a feeling A Lee 88 would deliver, so with quiet optimism I rolled up on the joint and gingerly made my way in. Wow so face melting lol

3 Likes

Lol I was wrong you can edit titles and posts. Well, it was better to do the full write up anyway. I don’t know how I didn’t see the pencil icons…

1 Like