The Backroom at Moody's (Waltham, MA)

From this article, Revers’ comments sound like they are intended to apply pressure to the license commission and to a lesser extent Smith. A guy with 9 figure wealth should be able to figure out a way to retain key staff in the interim.

3 Likes

Ugh is right. Let’s hope for the dedicated staff team that the right things can still happen.

Sudden loss of income can be devastating for a working family.

I once knew a financial offer at a company who hated the prospect of layoffs, because that person had such genuine empathy for employees. When it came to separating someone from their income, that person said it was important to remember, “You are messing with people’s groceries.” That truth springs to mind every time I hear something like this.

2 Likes

From that article, it sounds like an indicator may be if they open in 3 weeks with just a food license …

1 Like

And now there’s this, from Boston Magazine. Icky amount of spin here, to my way of thinking, given the sudden closure in Waltham and the other reports. Greater transparency would serve better.

That said, when you read this it does seem like management has a will to move forward.

Still hoping that they do right by their Waltham team as this unfolds.

1 Like

Oh, my, that is quite a spin. I agree, for loyal customers, greater transparency would feel a lot better. I’m sure there are tons of legal restrictions on what any of the parties can say publicly. We’ll never know the “real story” and I’m sure the truth lies somewhere between both perspectives. Let’s hope the team makes out well and that Waltham ends up with solid operations after the changes.

1 Like

I follow Moody’s on Facebook. They just posted this.
Moody’s Delicatessen & Backroom Under New Management !

"We are excited to announce that Moody’s Delicatessen and Backroom are under new management! The owner and co-founder has brought together some of Boston and New York’s top restaurant talent to take both Moody’s Delis and The Backroom to the next level. Many of you know these seasoned industry veterans that have worked at some of Boston and New York’s most successful restaurants:
Alex Hage – General Manager/DOO: Former GM at Ostra and L’andana of Columbus Hospitality Group
Jeff Howe – Executive Chef: Former Executive Chef at L’andana and Teatro of Columbus Hospitality Group
Marcus Gleadow-Ware – Corporate Chef: Former Executive Chef at Aureole with Charlie Palmer and The Greydon House in Nantucket

This handpicked team is focused on creating a first-class culinary experience for our deli and restaurant guests through a renewed emphasis on crafting amazing food and drink coupled with best in class service all set in the confines of the beautiful owner-inspired space. Stay tuned for exciting new menu items as well as monthly prix fixe specialty dinners in the newly expanded Backroom restaurant.

This powerhouse team also plans to roll out a new concept in the former Moody Taco and BBQ’s space directly adjacent to our Waltham Deli & Backroom restaurant. More exciting details will be coming soon!

We apologize to our valued customers for any inconvenience they experience as result of our temporary closure which was a result of the separation of the former chef from Moody’s as well as its sister companies Moody’s Delicatessen & Provisions in downtown Boston and New England Charcuterie in Waltham. We are working with City of Waltham to reopen Moody’s and The Backroom in the near future. New England Charcuterie and Moody’s Delicatessen & Provisions Back Bay are operating as normal.

Our owner has made a substantial investment in the City of Waltham and Moody’s has become a valuable part of Waltham’s business community and, in particular, its thriving restaurant scene. We expect that to continue and he hopes to keep much of the staff of the restaurant and deli employed while we work to reopen with the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back to an even better version of Moody’s that we will operate with honesty, integrity and respect for our employees, customers and community. Check back here for updates on our reopening!"

1 Like

About as nasty a “divorce” statement as could be made!

2 Likes

It sure is!

2 Likes