Teo Restaurant and Bar (SoMa)

Had another solid dinner at Teo. I think they received less credit versus what they deserve given the skills of their kitchen. Easy to get in Friday evening. Probably because of the location. And kudos to them for going all teochew in the menu, and not dumb it down. But maybe that’s part of the issue. They would be more popular if they are on Geary or in Chinatown.

We had:

• marinated goose
  • teo chew oyster and egg omelet
  • teo fried rice
  • chicken and cashews
  • jade tofu
  • teo stir-fried rice noodle
  • beef filet with mushroom
  • veggie

The jade tofu was great- the tofu was smooth like silk. My wife and I were both very fond of this dish I will post a picture later on.

Everything else was solid.

1 Like

I stopped by about a month ago and also enjoyed the delicateness of the jade tofu:

I wasn’t a huge fan of the somewhat woody peas and carrots sprinkled about, but enjoyed the smooth texture of the egg white “custard” with tofu, and the shrimp.

I also liked the taro roll, fried taro bits wrapped in tofu skin:

We also ordered the fried shrimp ball appetizer, which was fine but nothing special. Service was friendly and we appreciated that they had more of a beer and drink selection than most Chinese restaurants.

Now that you brought up the peas and carrots, I must profess I was too busy devouring the tofu that I didn’t even pay attention to the stuff sitting on top.

I am curious, has anyone tried their rice noodle porridge (that they claim they are the only one doing it in Bay Area), the oyster porridge, or the fish balls? If so, how are they?

I’ve only been once and ordered the jade tofu as well, but I thought the tofu was lacking and it was all about the egg white custard on-top… perhaps I was too busy eating the custard and didn’t dig into the tofu until it got cold. Neither texture or flavor of the tofu underneath were great - not silken and not well flavored. I was there late, maybe an ingredient sub? Maybe an off day?

Not sure if temperature makes a difference. The other thing that I remember is that I ate them while it was real hot.

Teo offers lunch and dinner menus for SF Restaurant Week January 18 - 29.
www.sfrestaurantweek.com

1 Like

Finally tried the oyster congee. Its thicker and less watery than the usual Chiuchow congee, so its closer to the texture of a typical Cantonese congee. Oysters cooked just right (i.e. just cooked) and some dried fish for a change in texture. I couldn’t figure out what’s in the congee base. Decent rendition, though there are better back in Shantou / Hong Kong.

Teo traditional rice noodle porridge. Pour this:

into this thickened bowl of rice noodle. Strong soy marinade.

Finally, fish ball rice noodle soup that was a little bland.

At some point we were the only group in the restaurant. It certainly could use more love. They got inductive stoves on some tables now. Wonder what those are for.

Unfortunately Teo is no more. The windows are all covered by paper.

1 Like

Oh yikes :frowning:

I thought they were pretty interesting, just not in an convenient location imo. Think they depended more on office workers and everything