Tarragon, cilantro & other herbs - why are they so difficult to grow?

As far as I’ve ever read, much less seen, French (aka “true”) tarragon doesn’t set seed at all. Personally, I’ve never even seen it in flower, though in theory it will produce sterile flowers at some point in its lifecycle, given the right conditions (and I don’t even know what those are…) The same is true of most mints (though not the entire “mint family”) - I’ve lived near plenty of “feral”, naturalized to the point of invasiveness, colonies of mint, but don’t ever remember seeing even diminutive/vestigial flowers…

There is a “true” tarragon relative sold as “Russian tarragon” that’s grows easily from seed, but again as far as I know, no one uses it as a culinary herb, including Russians, in or outside of Russia (though true tarragon is very popular among Russians, including as a soft drink flavoring (which imo is definitely an acquired taste…:grin:)

2 Likes

Thanks, I read more. Estragon (Artemisia dracunculus cv sativa ou odora) can have flowers, but they are sterile (because they are hybrids). Multiplication only by cuttings and division. I did remember buying tarragon seeds probably the Russian variety ( Artemisia dracunculus var inodora ), though I didn’t succeed at all in germination. Supposedly, they should be easy to grow from seeds.

2 Likes

The flowers on French tarragon don’t amount to much. As to mint, I’ve grown spearmint, peppermint, and lemon mint and they all flowered. Spearmint in particular you have to keep on eye on it - I hate going away for long in the summer because it will put out a LOT of flowers.

3 Likes

Do you get seeds? I got flowers, but didn’t seem to have seeds, they can become invasive by growing runners.

0 Likes

(Gwenn) #25

My tarragon does well, even in a pot. I have a southern exposure. I’ve also given up on cilantro and I don’t think I’ll do basil this year. It starts out great (potted) then it just goes.

1 Like

How big is your pot?

I have a small pot I bought last year, I didn’t have time to repot it and it survived the winter. Now it’s time to do it!

0 Likes

For over ten years my French tarragon was very lush and healthy. Just did not come back this year, just an empty spot in the raised bed:(. I still have hopes that it might spring forth when we finally warm up here in ct.

0 Likes

Either it’s late this year or it has reached the end of its lifespan, 10 years is very old for a perennial plant. A renewed one will probably give you more fragrance.

0 Likes

(Gwenn) #29

It was in a window box with some other herbs. Haven’t done tarragon in a couple of years

0 Likes