Tamales Ladies (And Men)

I think tamales were supposed to be mostly corn masa and lard with a small filling of chicken, pork or refried beans and queso of some sort. I think the corn flour/meal was cheap and filling while the lard was in everything so the tamales relied mostly upon the cheap common ingredients. I think meat was a bit more uncommon/expensive so it was for special meals and wasn’t used that often or it was used in smaller amounts. Kind of like the way southerners would have a chicken dinner on Sundays, you didn’t have enough chickens to have one with every meal.
Now I am going to really get controversial. LOL! I think it was the same way with chili. When it was originally made it was usually mostly beans and chili peppers that the cook could raise themself. The meat/beef was used in small amounts because it was expensive and more for Sunday meals rather than everyday use.
But to get back to the tamale issue, I think the filling in the original tamales was a small flavor enhancer rather than the body of the tamale. But I kind of like the filler to play a larger role, whether it is chicken or red pork, I like a bit more of the protein.
YMMV.

3 Likes

+1, I think the original tamales where masa, lard (animal fat) and whatever the hell was around for filling. Chiles, squash, ramps, squirrel, whatever. Just a concept that works. I’ve had terrible and the best. The best was $1.75. Damn! It was the best. Perfect.

1 Like

I would also imagine that tamale making allowed a household to extend a relatively small amount of a leftover guisado over several meals using a masa extender. Feed more folks in your house, more inexpensively.

For myself, I am ok with a smaller amount of stewed filling, provided the masa dough is well balanced. There is almost nothing worse than a heavy, stodgy (or, heavens forfend, dry!) tamale.

2 Likes

We has an upstart in town a few years ago. You explain perfectly the tamales they served. Dense and a little dry. I paid $5 for 3. Dog liked the last two.

2 Likes