Tamales Ladies (And Men)

I remember days when you could get tamales in the Boston area at Maria Bonita in North Cambridge (RIP) or at La Posada in Arlington Heights at Thanksgiving or xmas (also friggin RIP).

Sigh

2 Likes

I assume they prep them the day before…

I’m not sure anyone here is that industrious Or organized.

We used to have a tamale man who sold in a Walmart parking lot out of his van. Nice guy, great product. It think someone put the run on him because he disappeared and no-one seems to know where or why. In fact, there used to be several sellers in several locations. All gone now.

Tamales are not hard to make, IN SMALL QUANTITIES, just a series of steps and they are time consuming.

But well worth it.

3 Likes

A corporate parking lot is sure to arouse static instead of deliciousness.
The advantage of my hippie grocery having no deli or hot food is they turn a blind eye.

1 Like

We have a heavy latino population in the town next to me. There is definitely competition. The 1.25 tamales sell out before 8 at the popular joint. They have quite a few kinds and a bannana one too. Hot sauce is a must!

1 Like

2 Likes

What’s in the foil packet?

That is the bannana leaf tamale

1 Like

Probably not too difficult to figure out why they’re not around anymore. But that’s a whole other conversation.

1 Like

One of the few things I miss about living in the Phoenix area, other than family, is the tamale woman that frequented a regular stop of mine to dig for vintage clothes. Steaming hot tamales and a cup of champurrado on a cold winter morning was heaven.

I usually make a couple hundred of them for the holidays.

3 Likes

Isn’t it tho.

1 Like

No street sales in my neighborhood, but we do have Puebla in Essex Market, which serves a very respectable rajas tamal, and Factory Tamal, which I’m going to try one of these days.

1 Like

@corvette_johnny That dried chili display is impressive.

Thanks for reminding me about tamales. Two things I do every fall, tamales and empanadas. I buy 5 in pie tops from Cash and Carry and then make a filling of ground beef, mushrooms, smoked cream cheese and caramelized onions. I have a 5 in empanada press and use a 2 ounce ice cream scooper for the filling. I can pump out about 50 in 2 hours. for the tamales I do a pretty traditional style with pork and homemade chili sauce, onions and fresh chiles.

2 Likes

I was recommended to try these frozen tamales (found at my local natural foods store). There are meat and veg options. Veg tamales in restaurants are VERY rare (no meat for me). The only veg tamale I’ve ever had in a restaurant was in California. I’m in the East and haven’t seen any on menus here. I think these are quite good and a very easy dinner.

1 Like

This is embarrassing.:slightly_smiling_face:I give up on trying to copy a certain article. Search Texas Co-op Power - December 2019 for the condensed version

1 Like
2 Likes

Thank you bbqboy. I’ll flag that monster and get it out of here.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This forum is cool enough you just have to copy the address and paste it in.
Much easier than what you were trying to accomplish. My efforts would resemble yours.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes