"Taking down" an all-you-can-eat buffet

agree- the AYCE buffet is dead in our parts minus the Indian/asian aspects from what I can see. A shame, I’m nostalgic for it for back in HS and college when I took GF there before I knew better…but for like 30 bucks we could go to town on apps, meat, and dessert. Where else is that possible? Then there were the Chinese spots in HS for 10 bucks I would eat until I felt like puking; then go for ice cream and donuts.

2 Likes

Oh I’m here alright lol. I can’t hold a candle to @bbqboy

Hitting the hospital is something I cant say I’ve done. That’s like going to a strip club to find a wife…so far fetched it could be genius! :rofl::rofl::sunglasses: Joon and I salute you!

Joon we should go wreck riverview one day. I’m talking some youtube footage possibly with hidden cameras. I have some ideas brewing.

What about sizzler? The last time I saw one was in Puerto Rico. They have been mia in central nj for over 20 years I think.

How about ponderosa? Wasn’t that a buffet? I’m sure @NotJrvedivici will know.

Greg, I think the home something buffet was at the Monmouth mall. There was a buffet in the same spot a few years ago but I forgot the name. It could still be there.

3 Likes

Ponderosa was a steak/buffet. You ordered your cut of steak then there was a salad and side(s) Buffet. I was a cook at the Ocean County Mall Ponderosa circa 1986-ish.

4 Likes

Riverview is decent. Hours are rough to really do much damage. I was there for a few days a while back and the DnD was what we hit up most. The view is among the best around though. If they served booze I’d visit more often.
Little tip, you can get food delivered to the ER.

2 Likes

Country Home? Town and Country? Something like that.

Aha! Old Country Buffet!

Apparently there were 17 left in the US as of 2017.

While I barely have any memory left, I would liken it to Golden Corral. Maybe a step above. I, like someone else mentioned, walked in and quickly out of a Golden Corral in PA. I don’t know what was worse: the cattle-like crowd or the smell.

1 Like

For every PA Dutch buffet that’s excellent, there’s one that’s dreadful. Some just have a certain stench to them and you can tell the food is far from fresh.

I personally like Dienner’s. It’s a large spread but not so large that quality suffers. Farm fresh I would say. Then there’s a place like Hershey Farm that just stunk to high heaven! Clearly the carpet was from the 70’s. Walked out (that was years ago). There’s also Shady Maple which I went to once which could be compared to something you’d see in AC or Vegas…huge!

For what it’s worth, I only hit up breakfast buffets in PA. Usually a filling breakfast to hold me through to dinner, with maybe some light snacking at various shops/markets and maybe an afternoon cocktail.

3 Likes

Even worse, the smell was the crowd.

6 Likes

Before anyone get’s upset by my joking about Golden Coral folk, I will admit I’ve been to more than one myself. I honestly do not find the food horrific and given the price point and AYCE aspect, the argument that overall it’s a good meal could easily be made. (there are plenty of fish, vegetable, salad and fruit options…which admittedly goes mostly ignored)

Hell - I’ll be totally honest as a large® person myself (right around 300lbs) an occasional trip to Golden Coral is good for my self esteem. I can bet whenever I go to GC I’m in the thinner half of the crowd! Where else can you go, gorge yourself on whatever food you desire, stick your head in a chocolate fountain and leave thinking; “Yeah this diet is working out just fine”.

6 Likes

Thought this crowd would find this article interesting:

From today!

1 Like

When I was a kid, the local hospital cafeteria was run by Amish ladies. People went out of their way to eat there, and for good reason.

Our local hospital here in FL has really solid food for a very reasonable price. The few times I’ve been there have been more than acceptable.

2 Likes

I love buffets here in Southern California. There used to be many hometown buffets and golden Corrales but now only golden corale and tons of Indian and hordes of chinese/Asian style buffets. Enjoyed them all.

3 Likes

When my kids were young this was one of the few restaurants on our “ok” list to take them too. I wouldn’t take them to any real sit down restaurants because having spent a lot of my life in the industry, I know how staff and fellow dinners loath a cranky child, so I would only go to VERY informal restaurants, this was one!

Their food was always average or above, to this day their corn chowder was about the best I ever had.

2 Likes

Hi, Sperry welcome to Hungry Onion! We love new contributors, please make yourself feel at home!! We look forward to your future contributions!

4 Likes