Takeout “greatest hits” (SFBA)

In SF, San ho won (out of the Benu location) for Korean. Menu changes every week but almost always excellent to my non Korean taste buds. More recently, Hinoya curry for the karaage and ebi furai. Wing lee bbq for their crispy wings (usually available starting around 10am, gone by 11am). The pork rib curry at Konomama. Salmon skin handroll and other a la carte sushi from Little Sushi bar. Chicken nanban and hotaru ika from Wako. Kalbi from Bart Grocery in Daly City. Saketoro yaki from Robata grill in Mill valley. Cheesecake from kekisf on Instagram.

6 Likes

Had one meal from San Ho Won last year. Very good. Delicately cooked, delicious. Oh those ribs were fab.

1 Like

Also Breadbelly in SF for their karaage and Basque cheesecake

3 Likes

I was in the mood for some spice so I got take out from Mr. Szechuan on 19th and Taraval in SF last night. Mapo Tofu over rice, Tan Tan Noddles and House Chow Mein for the kid. All solid, very generous portions and Mr. Szechuan isn’t afraid to bring the heat. Their dry hot pot seems to get some attention from the Yelpers. Anything else on the menu anyone can recommend?

2 Likes

Hook Fish Co., Outer sunset, San Francisco

I have a tradition of going out for fish and chips on Father’s Day. Fish in Sausalito is my favorite, but I did’t feel like leaving the city. Fish and chips were very good, nice crispy beer batter and super fresh fish (they are a fish market/restaurant). Daughter had the grilled fish tacos - she liked them a lot. Crab cakes were tiny and not much crab flavor - wouldn’t order them again. They have a nice homemade habanero/carrot hot sauce that goes well with fried food.

4 Likes

Shawaramaji, Franklin St., Oakland, CA
Lamb shawarma ($11)

was quite good. Real lamb and chicken on the spit, red onions, tomato and they nicely crisp both sides on the griddle. Could use a touch of hot sauce.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: [SF, Mission] Komaaj Kitchen

Ming Kee SF, consistently rocking it.
Char Siu rice plate

4 Likes

Go Go 7, Ocean Ave, SF
Not destination worthy but solid neighborhood Korean if you’re in the area. Generous variety of banchan even for takeout orders.

5 Likes

Donaji, 24th Street, Mission, SF
New Oaxacan in the Mission focused on masa based dishes - tamales, sopes, etc.
Enchiladas de mole were really good with a complex mole. Pork and chicken tamales were good, nice flavorful masa, not dense and rubbery, but the pork and chicken fillings were fairly plain. Generous pickled onions and curtido. Excellent pineapple lime agua Fresca. Cute space, I think we’ll eat in next time.

4 Likes

I had a super chorizo and egg breakfast burrito from Papalote on Saturday. It the spot :burrito: Papalote has good salsa.

1 Like

Sweet and sour chicken and Mala yolo cucumber from Mamahuhu (Noe Valley).
Not that dayglow orange candy sweet and sour, they use rice flour to keep
It crispy, fresh pineapple and hawthorn fruit for a subtle tartness. Cucumbers had a sichuan peppercorn paste with some celery angled fresh herbs.

3 Likes

New banh mi shop across the street from Glen Park BART. They didn’t change the outside signage so still says Viking Subs, a place that sold generic cheap cold cut sandwiches. They really need to put up signs if they want people to know they’re in there. Large banh mi, not bad but I would have liked more carrots and without the sweet oyster like sauce they use. Will try cold cuts next time.

1 Like

With Bánh Mì that looks like that may be they should leave the Viking Subs Sign up!
:grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah wasn’t the best. Says they all have “egg butter” which I’ve never heard of or noticed.

Huh. :thinking: That must be Mayo.

2 Likes

Where was this from?

Just an Example of what a good Bánh Mì should look like.
If you are in the Bay Area here a couple of Spots to get one.
Bánh Mì Ba Lẹ in Oakland and El Cerrito
Cam Huong Oakland

Had two hours to kill waiting for a brake job in Daly City.
The Bread Basket Bakery - ube croissant and guava cheese danish were good. Ham and cheese croissant was fine, the “Cruffin” sucked.
Fil-Am, specializing in grilled skewers, chicken and pork. Really big plate for just under $10, two could easily share a two skewer plate over rice and be full. BBQ had a sweet sauce/marinade with nice char flavor from the grill flames. Lumpia were OK (10 for $3.95). Constant line and lots of people picking up party trays of food. Out of pansic but the “X” tape over the sign seemed kind of permanent so I’m thinking they don’t make it anymore. They also have some steam trays of sisig, adobo, and some other things but I didn’t see eanyone order anything except the skewers.

4 Likes