Takeout “greatest hits” (SFBA)

Hmph. Rich Table cooking dumplings? I guess my question is, why would Rich Table dapple in dumplings when there are dumpling joints all over town?

1 Like

Hahaha I was just intrigued with their use of dry aged beef and was curious how that taste. It… was interesting. I think I like my dry aged beef seared. The funk in the dumpling threw me off.

The dumpling has been on the menu since at least last year - they are incredibly rich and dense, though. They lean more towards eastern European than East Asian style. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rakiraki Ramen, Mission St. SF
San Diego mini chain with 4 locations in SD and one in SF.
This is their “Red Edition”. I’m not a Ramen geek but this was good, nice rich milk broth but not too salty, al dente noodles, nicely cooked egg, tender chashu.

5 Likes

Ming Kee, SF
Roast pork neck rice plate

6 Likes

Four Star Seafood is selling vacuum sealed frozen BBQ from Cochon Volant up in Sonoma. Preparation for it just simmering it in the bag for 15-20 min. I’ve been surprisingly pleased with it - it’s pretty smoky and a lot better than I expected for frozen BBQ when I ordered it on a whim. I don’t know if I’d necessarily take it over ordering “fresh” BBQ from some local place, but I like having frozen BBQ that I can keep around and have ready at a moment’s notice.

2 Likes

I had some dumplings from Dumpling Home tonight. Dumpling Home opened in Hayes Valley last November and is open for delivery and takeout. I don’t know if they are currently doing outdoor dining. I got the shengjian bao (which are called “juicy pork bao” on the menu) and the numb and spicy xiao long bao. Both were excellent. The SJB were I think the best I’ve had in SF, delivery or not. Very juicy inside, with the crunchy browning on the pleats reaching up almost halfway up one side. The “numb and spicy” XLB were also great. Really good texture in the wrapper and lots of soup inside. The filling was like a regular XLB but had some chili oil and some Sichuan peppercorn numbing flavor. Only some minor leaks from delivery.

Try the SJB!

6 Likes

I didn’t think to take pics, but we got takeout from Rivoli for our anniversary dinner last night and it was great. We shared three dishes. First the mushroom fritters. They looked a little messy, with capers all over the place, but were delicious as always. We weren’t sure how the cardboard container would work for the seafood stew, but it was fine and sooo good. Realized we hadn’t had mussels in a year. Then we had the duck confit, one leg, but fine for friends to share. I don’t know what they do to the polenta, I suspect it’s not terribly healthful, but it tastes amazing. We kept the boxes in the oven on low and it was fine. 84.13 including tax but not tip; we had our own champagne.

4 Likes

Burmese Kitchen (@ 2nd and Geary in the inner richmond of SF) continues to be my (and my +1’s) favorite. Though the samosa soup at Pagan is better, imo, the non-soup and non-noodle dishes at BK are solid winners every time. Huge fan of the pork with pickled mango, the golden tofu salad, the ginger salad, the stewed pumpkin (w/ or w/o shrimp), the beef biryani, the eggplant, and the mohinga (though it’s quality can vary across visits). Moderately priced (for SF) and very high quality.

3 Likes

In SF, San ho won (out of the Benu location) for Korean. Menu changes every week but almost always excellent to my non Korean taste buds. More recently, Hinoya curry for the karaage and ebi furai. Wing lee bbq for their crispy wings (usually available starting around 10am, gone by 11am). The pork rib curry at Konomama. Salmon skin handroll and other a la carte sushi from Little Sushi bar. Chicken nanban and hotaru ika from Wako. Kalbi from Bart Grocery in Daly City. Saketoro yaki from Robata grill in Mill valley. Cheesecake from kekisf on Instagram.

6 Likes

Had one meal from San Ho Won last year. Very good. Delicately cooked, delicious. Oh those ribs were fab.

1 Like

Also Breadbelly in SF for their karaage and Basque cheesecake

3 Likes

I was in the mood for some spice so I got take out from Mr. Szechuan on 19th and Taraval in SF last night. Mapo Tofu over rice, Tan Tan Noddles and House Chow Mein for the kid. All solid, very generous portions and Mr. Szechuan isn’t afraid to bring the heat. Their dry hot pot seems to get some attention from the Yelpers. Anything else on the menu anyone can recommend?

2 Likes

Hook Fish Co., Outer sunset, San Francisco

I have a tradition of going out for fish and chips on Father’s Day. Fish in Sausalito is my favorite, but I did’t feel like leaving the city. Fish and chips were very good, nice crispy beer batter and super fresh fish (they are a fish market/restaurant). Daughter had the grilled fish tacos - she liked them a lot. Crab cakes were tiny and not much crab flavor - wouldn’t order them again. They have a nice homemade habanero/carrot hot sauce that goes well with fried food.

4 Likes

Shawaramaji, Franklin St., Oakland, CA
Lamb shawarma ($11)

was quite good. Real lamb and chicken on the spit, red onions, tomato and they nicely crisp both sides on the griddle. Could use a touch of hot sauce.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: [SF, Mission] Komaaj Kitchen

Ming Kee SF, consistently rocking it.
Char Siu rice plate

4 Likes

Go Go 7, Ocean Ave, SF
Not destination worthy but solid neighborhood Korean if you’re in the area. Generous variety of banchan even for takeout orders.

5 Likes

Donaji, 24th Street, Mission, SF
New Oaxacan in the Mission focused on masa based dishes - tamales, sopes, etc.
Enchiladas de mole were really good with a complex mole. Pork and chicken tamales were good, nice flavorful masa, not dense and rubbery, but the pork and chicken fillings were fairly plain. Generous pickled onions and curtido. Excellent pineapple lime agua Fresca. Cute space, I think we’ll eat in next time.

4 Likes

I had a super chorizo and egg breakfast burrito from Papalote on Saturday. It the spot :burrito: Papalote has good salsa.

1 Like