Taiwan - May 2018

Just curious, what else did you have when you were in Cijin? There are many seafood restaurants there, how did you pick the one you went? We are trying to drive there. Is there any street parking? Pay parking? TIA

The pictures and descriptions of what you ate in Taiwan fill me with intense jealousy.

Hi Teriyakichi and BBC, I’m glad you share my interest in Cijin.

There is one main food street, about 3 blocks long, where most of the seafood restaurants are located. If you take the ferry, the street starts right by the dock. My wife and in-laws are from Kaohsiung, my future in-laws had taken me to my first Cijin restaurant 15 years ago. We’ve been back to visit Taiwan often, and have been to that first restaurant a number of times. The direct translation is “Duck Feet Seafood” restaurant.

You can take the ferry, or drive there and park at a pay parking lot easily. You can also find street parking if you get lucky.

Most, if not all, the seafood restaurants have their critters on display on ice or in live tanks. So easy to pick a restaurant that has the fresh seafood you want. We tried another restaurant 2~3 times, before we came to the conclusion that the Duck Feet Restaurant was a tad better in cooking technique and value. This is the other restaurant, which is actually very good also.

Surprisingly, the restaurant prices are almost unbelievably “reasonable”. Cijin is a tourist destination, so some price gouging is expected. This is not the case. On CNY eve this year, 4 of us ate and drank very well for less the USD $100.

Not on Cijin, but throughout Taiwan proper, we’ve learned to enjoy the “100 NT” restaurants. These are local eateries with giant menus, most items are 100 NT (USD $3.20). This gives us the chance to order a wide variety, and the cooking has invariably been very good.

Basil oyster omelet:

Fried chicken cartilage, fried rice:

Snail with pepper, ginger, spice:

Deep fried frog parts:

Oysters, spinach:

Goose (probably more than 100 NT):

2 Likes

Thanks for more photos and info. They can cook the stuff we select any way they want. We don’t even know how to ask them specifically how the items are to be cooked anyhow.

How does it work? I don’t see the weight.

Good to know one can eat oysters not cooked in an omelet. I personally don’t like it this way. Also, why is boiled goose so prevalent in Taiwan but not in HK, which is more often roasted?

You’re a photographer and I bet you are very good about organizing photos. I suggest you organize food pictures on your phone, prepared the way you like. Those seafood places are very flexible and will try to accommodate your requests when possible. Pick the seafood you want, and show the vender a picture of how you want it prepared, that should do the trick.

Some of the food will have prices per “unit”(lbs/kg/caddy). For seafood on ice, and especially the live fish, its better to ask how much before you commit. Its ok to ask the price, as some of the more exotic stuff is nosebleed priced. The fishmonger know enough English to understand “how much?” They should have a pad/pencil or a handheld calculator (or you can bring one), and they will jot down the cost of what you exactly chose. Then you can refuse or accept.

Some pricier items (still very reasonable). Baby Abalone:

Fish sperm sack:

Sea cucumber:

Some crab:

I personally don’t like the Taiwanese oyster omelet street style with the flour slurry, the sauce is too sweet. However, I love the omelet restaurant style, dry with basil. Fried oysters are also very delicious.

Oyster with tofu on hot pot:

Regarding geese, I can’t say why boiled goose is more prevalent in Taiwan. Seems to me goose is not regularly in the Cantonese diet, more of a special occasion dish. Thus roasted to make it more special? Goose in Taiwan is more common, thus simply boiling is okay. Just guessing.

1 Like

Thanks again! I think prices for more “fancy” creatures are still lower than in Korea. I don’t mind grilled abalone again. And clams with basil. Crabs for sure.

I’ll find some names of typical dishes. Or be delightfully surprised like I was in China… What we did there: pointed at Chinese characters in the guidebook/dictionary for ingredients and they did the cooking.

1 Like