Taiwan Kaohsiung

Coming back to DW’s hometown is like coming home to me. When we were here last, the virus was just trending, didn’t even have a name yet. Sad to see so many empty storefronts still. Night market last night was a shadow of times past. One can actually walk more than a few steps without bumping into another stroller.

Thankfully, my favorite morning market was still bustling, though only about 60% as pre.

Our take this morning, the bulk chilling in fridge.

Wax apple, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, persimmon, oranges and some kind of melon.

1st poultry stand specializing in smoked duck. I’m not particularly fond of smoked meats, this was very good.

From same vender, also got some pork blood rice cake, duck heart and chicken tail (pee goo).

We then passed this guy, impossible to resist the temptation to add some duck pee goo.

Nose to tail!!

He had black chicken too! Saved for another day.

8 Likes

Fabulous report.

I can only wonder the kind of heart attack our local health inspector would have walking the markets of Taiwan.

1 Like

Did u say “HEART”? :slight_smile:

1st night in Taipei, pork heart. Part of a nutritional meal with shark, intestines, tofu and bamboo shoots.

DW cannot resist these skewer carts. Fill your colander thingee with your heart’s desire, a few minutes turn on the grill and voilà. Chicken hearts of course, a must.

Oh, she also can’t resist the hot dipped version. Same selection drill as the above, only the goodies are blanched and bagged with house sauce.

Then duck hearts from the market this morning. We do indulge in things besides heart, I swear.

7 Likes

I absolutely love those dark pig’s blood/rice cakes.

2 Likes

I normally eat a bite or two to appease the wife. These were quite good as she claimed, ate 2 pieces. Pork blood cubes (especially with pig intestine and pickled vegetable) in soup? Put me in, I’ll play!!

1 Like

I can have those every day! :yum:

1 Like

They would be aMAzed.

Taiwan has high food hygiene standards. Quality of food is also high.

Clean and nice, good food at every turn.

During an afternoon recess, many market stalls are left unmanned with all the goods under a tarp. (Photo below was taken in Kaohsiung)

I found them to be mild. Not bloody-tasting enough.

I went straight for this one…

And this

6 Likes

Totally unrelated, but my parents were from Kaohsiung.

2 Likes

Went Goose hunting tonight. Very much enjoyed a goose feast at this night market spot before lockdown.

Alas, booth was dark. Will try again and hope they weren’t victims of the pandemic.

Pig’s tails are not readily available as they once were in my home town. . Saw a tray with the last three remaining at this booth and pounced.

Not a fan of herbal medicinal elixirs, bad memories from childhood that I won’t get into. Wife on the other hand, loves them. Have at it.

Stacks of steaming bamboo baskets scream dumplings. Ordered some bamboo shoots, ong choy (water spinach) and a basket of dumplings.

Streets were starting to really pop. Wonderful time to shop and soak up the ambiance.

Drunken chicken. We’d purchased from this guy a couple of times before. From Cock’s comb to chicken butt, and everything in between, it’s all there.
Surprisingly, his vegetables game is strong!! Great white bitter melon, mountain vegetable and more pork blood rice cake.

Altogether now.

Wife had treated me to a taro dessert?!?! wtf? Colour me a convert, taro as a dessert component will be on my menu here and now. Really tasty.

7 Likes

We’re like in-laws!! :slight_smile:

Kaohsiung folks are more easy going than their big city Taipei brethren. I’d get surreptitious quizzical looks, wondering why this Asian dude can’t talk. When explained that I’m from Mei Gok (America), they invariably relax and become quite friendly.

The drunken chicken guy even gifted us a huge black chicken paw!!!

6 Likes

Black chickens are the best. Especially to make chicken essence.

You are very lucky.

1 Like

Quintessential local Kaohsiung restaurant. Outdoor (sidewalk) kitchen equipped with full on industrial strength grill, oven, jet engine woks and prep stations.

Bounty from the nearby seas and fields beckon the discerning diner at the entry. The Lionfish, bittter melon were not to be denied.

Grab a strategic table and self-serve yourself a beverage of choice. Splurged on an import tonight. (Actually, brewed under license locally)

Well grilled chicken wing with a touch of char from the flame. Jumbo size. Just the 2nd and 3rd joint the perfect portion for a nice starter.

Always wonderful clams with Lionfish soup. The fish was sweet and delicate. Considered an invasive species in many parts of the world, this fish should be given more respect as a food source.

Three Cup squid. Garlic cloves, ginger and basil all deep fried and addictive with plain rice.

King trumpet mushrooms. White bitter melon accented with salted egg.

Deep fried oysters.

Fish Kama, neck collar.

Very well rounded balanced meal. The portions were just enough to sate, leaving room (and desire) for the next dish. Enjoyable dinner with DW and two close friends.

8 Likes

Exploring markets is probably our favorite activity. Day, night, wet, fish, supermarket, enjoy them all.

Great time at the Xingda Harbor fish market, about an hours trek from our base in Kaohsiung.

Tables of Mullet Roe soaking up the sun greeted us before we even entered the market.

Took a few steps and hit the first stand, fresh fried seafood cakes, spheres, myriad shapes and sizes.

Closest description would be a Scotch Egg. Breaded ball packed with fish paste, meat, mushroom, chestnut and salty egg yolk. Washed down with an icy Taiwan beer.

Entered the market proper, a covered one hundred yard stretch of sensory overload. Stalls teeming with all manners of colorful critters, different delicious scents wafting from every corner, the cacophony of venders barking out for your attention and dollars.

Before our deep dive into the seafood, some quail eggs on a stick. The tiny eggs cooked on a takoyaki-like mold, then skewered.

Crabs. Oysters. Squid. Milk fish. Cuttlefish.

Strawberries beautiful but pricy at usd$10/basket. One sample, and we were buyers.

Had to have DW’s favorite nosh, fried oyster fritter patty.

Only had room left for a final drink. A concoction with passion fruit, dragon fruit, kiwi, cherry tomato and mango. Sour!! DW loves it, a couple of sips to slack my thirst was enough for me.

Back to town, too full for dinner. Spent a couple of hours at Carrefour and stocked up on some goodie’s for nieces back home. And some adult beverages for us. Good day!

8 Likes

Teppanyaki.

I didn’t grow up with Teppanyaki, or any Japanese foods, for that matter. Benihana was above my pay grade and never on my radar in earlier leaner years. We have since enjoyed a couple of teppanyaki meals in Kobe, but that was for the beef, not so much for the performance art.

Fine dining type teppanyaki restaurants are quite common in the larger cities. Another option are “fast casual” outlets, go to for a quick reasonably priced belly fill up.

Bar type seating around the iron griddle. Menus are pretty basic, just good simple grilled comfort food. Help yourself to all you care to drink soup and white gourd tea.

Ordered a set for two. Fried over easy egg w/oyster sauce a must add on.

Cabbage and bean sprouts. Set proteins were lamb and scallops/mushrooms. Add on fish filet was great, flaky and moist.

Lamb was good, scallops were not. Cabbage and sprouts with white rice made for a satisfying comfort meal.

NT$460 dinner for two, a little less than usd$15.

7 Likes

Are those oysters embedded in your fried eggs?

I was wondering also. Wife says that’s the bottom side of the egg yolk. Best part of the meal.

1 Like

Channeling the American Fried Chicken Sandwich craze.

Yin Si Juan, silver thread bread. A Shandong bread that used to be ubiquitous in Taiwan. Unique for the “threads” that run through the loaf.

With Gee Pi, Fried Chicken Cutlet.

Not very pretty effort, but fun attempt. And, I LOVE the silver thread bread.

Next, Salvadoran Hot Dogs ala Taiwan. :wink:

6 Likes

Our favorite herbs “dried goods” street.

Favorite vender.

Our haul, vac packed and ready to go.

On the walk back to hotel.

LOVE this town!

6 Likes

I love these! Haven’t tried making any at home, even though I’d come across a recipe here:

3 Likes

The ducks look nice!

1 Like