Tacos El Patron - Mission District, San Francisco

I asked for a quesabirria and it caused confusion as to whether I wanted a taco or a burrito or something. I said taco. She said con queso? I said yes and we got a quesabirria. So best to be specific. That was one of the things I couldn’t read from the menu board which is posted way up high and has small lettering in a weird hand written font…

And it doesn’t ooze with cheese.

1 Like

Technically it is off-menu; the birria taco on the menu is cheeseless by default. But it sounds like virtually everyone ordering one is asked expectantly whether they want to order it with cheese added.

1 Like

Still killing it. So popular you have to go on a Tuesday night if you don’t want a long line. Sides were better, nopales were pickled, beans had Mexican oregano flavor also came with some guacamole - not sure if that comes with the mulita. Might try the ceviche next time so it’s not all heavy.

4 Likes

Wow about the line!! Happy to hear, that corner seemed cursed.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s kind of an odd location with no other restaurants really around it - I’m glad to see them doing well, the service is always friendly and the birria tacos came out fresh off the griddle - so hot we had to wait a few minutes just to eat them.

1 Like

but that area needed a taqueria. yep, happy for them too!

1 Like

I am happy for them too, but I also feel sour about my first visit there and how disorganized they were. I will go again, but if I have to go up to the counter several times to remind them of missing items, that will be the last time.

1 Like

well, yeah! sounds like it was just one off night. I’ve experienced none of the issues you described…

I’ve never had any service issues personally, but the first time I went I overheard a table complaining they had been waiting half an hour for their food.
I do think they weren’t prepared for their popularity initially, but based on my experience the other night they seemed to have worked out any early kinks.

1 Like

and it wasn’t as popular when I went…

Taco Patrón (lots of shrimp and cheese griddled crisp) and cabeza taco. Nice that they give you a full assortment of salsa and chips for 2 take out tacos

5 Likes