TACO BELL was great pre-90's formerly on ChowHound

also in the metaverse … just ask Zuckerberg.

1 Like

Always burritos. Compared to Mexican rice, both their rices are tastless (and they put way too much in them). They can’t do beans worth a darn… their proteins are bland… salsas are mediocre at best, and to pay extra for their guac is kinda an insult for under-seasoned avocado with not enough lime or other stuff.

I got a much better burrito at Jimboy’s for half the price (before they nixed the Super Burrito)… and now it is just my local taqueria.

I see. I’ve never been able to discern all of that in a burrito, but I have probably only tried once.

That place looks good!

Not particularly attractive inside, but the best carnitas I have ever had (and I used to live in San Diego)… they sell them to go by the pound with 10 tortillas and two big piles of chopped onion and cilantro (used to be 12 bucks, now I think it is 17). Salsa bar is good, but not great. And their bean & cheese burritos (ordered with onion) are stellar.

1 Like

Have you tried Nixtaco in Roseville?

We would go more often, but it is rather pricey for what you get.

Too far.

One of my favorite Thai places in Los Angeles (Luv 2 Eat) is in a strip mall on Sunset right in downtown Hollywood.

Treasure can be found anywhere.

3 Likes

To quote my sister, listening to me and my chef brother have a 10 minute convo about the relative merits of Diamond vs Mortons kosher salt one day: “…you know that normal people don’t think about this shit, right?” :wink:

2 Likes

Heck, even weird people don’t think about this shit.

3 Likes

What’s on my mind; which is easier to define? “Normal” or “weird”? :thinking:

ETA I’m going to say normal is easier, as in normal distribution.

We are skewed !

How’s that for thread drift?

4 Likes

Well that’s easy to define. Normal is me, weird is everybody else.

6 Likes

I travel for work, so I’m regularly in different areas looking for something to eat that doesn’t come through a window.

Strip mills is where to find mom and pop places…usually far better than their FF counterparts.

2 Likes

I’ve had transformative meals at places where you can honestly wonder: “Does the County even know this place is here?”

4 Likes
1 Like

I like Taco Bell and taco carts/trucks. I will choose Taco Bell over KFC or McD’s. I will try new Fast Food Taco spots when I see them. I like Ruben’s Tacos (a small chain) more than some indie tacos.

The Taco Bell craving is different than a taco cart craving. A hard taco craving isn’t met with a soft taco or a bowl of tortilla soup.

It’s like coffee for me . I like Maxwell House and I like espresso.

When I read this thread, yo quiero Taco Bell.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I live on Long Island. No trucks or the other anywhere in sight. Only “Mexican” restaurants that I do not like. I even tried another besides the one with the expensive “poor” chicken. And they hardly give you any shredded cheese on your items, and the cheese has no flavor. Neither does the sour cream. Probably all that no fat or low fat garbage. TRUST ME. Long Island has no places like down South for great Tex Mex. Even this place called Meson Ole’ that burned down, the food was BLAND. Chili’s restaurant food is crap too. Literally a tablespoon each of shredded lettuce, sour cream and jar salsa with your meal. And their quesadillas tasted like two layers of cardboard with fake cheese between. Dog food if you ask me. How many places does anyone expect me to try? I think I tried enough. And the verdict is Long Island has no tasty Tex Mex joints - period. P.S. it’s not just faux Tex Mex places on LI that give us TINY portions, it’s ALL restaurants ! Because we have such high property taxes here that the food establishments are all cutting corners to save a buck. I am convinced that is the reason for the small portions. How would you like paying $13K a year in taxes for a little over a 1/4 acre w/1300 sq. ft, house?

I thought so ! I mean I tried everything I could think of. Thanks for confirming before I wasted time trying again.

(post deleted by author)

I’ve traveled around the country quite a bit and it’s pretty unusual to see a place with no taco trucks now. One of the best I’ve ever had was in Boise.

I’ve never been to Helena, but googling shows there are several taco trucks and takeout taco counters there. The highest rated on Google is El Vaquero Taqueria, at 1338 11th Avenue. 4.8 stars (out of 5.0) with 487 ratings.

2 Likes