TACO BELL was great pre-90's formerly on ChowHound

Speaking of your hometown or, at least, Germany, a recent arrival in my town is German Doner Kebab. I spotted it a few weeks back. Not tried it yet but a Google tells me the brand originates in Berlin and has been rapidly expanding in the UK

YES ! Our first Taco Bell in 1984 had the walk-up bar too ! You watched your items being made looking at the backs of the employees. The building had two circular windows with artificial logs in the structure at the roofline. It was such an iconic design with a pleasant welcoming atmosphere. Now they all look like dark ceiling starbucks and foreboding. Not good at all. I guess it goes with the quality of the food. In fact I am making 3 burritos tonight ! A bean burrito, burrito supreme and the bacon cheeseburger burrito just like old Taco Bell. I simmer my taco beef for at least 30 minutes. And you need to put in the seasoning and all the ingredients at the start. Here is the recipe: 80/20, taco seasoning packet per pound of meat, tablespoon of tomato paste per pound of meat, heaping tablespoon of dried minced onion per pound of meat, 1/4 cup of buttermilk per pound of meat, some water to simmer. On medium heat, keep chopping and stirring the meat until no more lumps and mix well until the orangy/red oil starts forming little puddles on top. At least a half hour, but an hour is better. You want all the ingredients to cook together. DO NOT do what the packet instructions say or the taco beef will not be as good. You want the flavors infused and to meld together. Trust me on this. It comes out superb !

Hmmm. Wonder what they’re like. As with most foods, I also prefer independent döner places over a chain, but who knows? Looks like you’ll have to take one for the team :wink:

4 Likes

You didnt miss anything. I didnt like it in the 80s, either. Everything was oozing with their refried beans…not only do i intensely dislike refried beans, theirs are notably nasty

I live in an area with a huge area of Mexican restaurants and food trucks owned and operates by the family thats working there. I’d gleefully drive last a dozen Taco Bells to get to any of them.

But judging by the drive thru line that wraps around our local franchise, somebody thinks its pretty good.

1 Like

My favorite was the Bell burger . All the taco fixings in a hamburger bun .

1 Like

My favorite catch phrase I used for every terrible “Mexican” restaurant I’ve been to: a Taco Bell with a liquor license.

I did eat at a Taco Bell back in the day, and it was awful. It may very well be awful-er now.

Me either. Never. Not once.

1 Like
3 Likes

If it’s the same franchise as the ones popping up in Edinburgh, it’s fine. And dammit, now I want some.

1 Like

The beachside Taco Bell in Pacifica CA is so very cool brah.

8 Likes

Never had one of those, but liked Pup 'n Taco’s version.

I think I just remembered the original poster’s name to the same thread on the now defunct ChowHound site. His name was HoundDogz. I hope he finds this site and thread so he can chime in on here. He had a wealth of knowledge too. The only item I still buy at Toxic Hell today is the Mexican Pizza but I have to add the green onions and black olives myself to make it right. For those who do not know that the original name for the “Mexican Pizza” it was the PIZZAZZ PIZZA. And they were larger than today’s smaller diameter size. I will also buy the beef ENCHIRITO when they have them on the menu from time to time. My bean burrito, burrito supreme and bacon cheeseburger burrito all came out fantastic last night !

1 Like

So… why all that Sturm und Drang? Sounds like you’re still lovin’ it :wink:

4 Likes

Only the pizza and the enchirito (once in a while). The reason for the pizza, is that I can’t yet duplicate the wafers. That is why I would buy them and then augment them to make it more pleasant. The enchirito is tolerable. But as for the taco beef, it is inferior to what it used to be. I am not lovin it, only tolerating it. That is far from enjoying. I make much better copies at home of all else that I crave. Hope that clarifies your question. Nothing I do after buying their product will change the fact that it is no longer fresh food or healthy like it once was. Once I copy the pizza wafers, I will stop going to Toxic Hell forever. I can make an enchirito at home very easily.

And

Honestly, I hope you find a way to recreate the dishes you love(d) there bc it has to be better quality than that stuff.

1 Like

Lightly brush tortillas with oil and bake in oven at 360°F for 8-10 minutes.

Thanks. And yes I copied all I loved, and most of the pizza except the wafers. Still working on those. I still have plenty of ingredients to make more burritos in the coming days. The next time I want taco bell, I will make the nachos belgrande. Just so you know, to make the “pizza sauce” for the pizza… You use stewed tomatoes and mix that with a good red enchilada sauce while simmering it on the stove.

With all the Mexican food in the world, this seems an absurd goal, sorta like trying to clone an 82 Citation.
You can do it, but why?

7 Likes

My mom had one of these. What a POS!

3 Likes

Most scenic Taco Bell in the world, I read somewhere. Since this is a Cantina, cervesa on tap.

We stop in once in awhile to slak our thirst and top up on carbs on the way to Half Moon Bay for seafood.

3 Likes