Surf BBQ, in Rumson, NJ

So it was “boyz” night so I left it up to my son, he suggested Local Smoke, which we have from time to time. For whatever reason I got the bright idea to ask if he’s ever tried Surf* BBQ, he said no so I decided we would give it a shot.

I’ve only been once or twice before and after this experience I remembered why. I’ve been in a rut lately with bbq, the last disappointment was at Mission BBQ in Hamilton(?) which wasn’t even post worthy.

The first thing that irked me about this place was outside of pulled pork they didn’t offer any other bbq options. My son decided on the sandwich platter and I ordered the ribs. Everything was “ok” but nothing besides the corn bread was good/great. The smoke flavor on the ribs literally left an ashy aftertaste in my mouth. I’m not a savvy bbq person but I certainly don’t care for whatever “smoke” they are using but it way overpowered the meat. I had 2 ribs and that was it for me.

The coleslaw was ok as were the unsalted homemade fries. Service was fine and I’m honestly surprised this place has lasted. I don’t find the food or menu to be that great. I’m surprised the locals keep the place afloat, honestly I would have assumed they would demand better, especially given Local Smoke is 10mins up the road.

(Sorry just realized my pics were worse than the food!)

5 Likes

I just looked at Surf’s menu. Wow! I don’t remember it being anything Iike that hodgepodge. But it’s been a very long time since we last went there and I’m old, so…. As I mentioned on Seal’s HoDown at The Cabin thread, Jersey Shore BBQ E. Brunswick is our go to for bbq. Always a pleasing experience.

As I said to my son when we first sat down; " I don’t remember why I stopped coming here"

By the end of the meal, I said; “I think I remember why I stopped coming”

Yes, the menu I was very disappointed with. Actually, had I prepared myself I might have been less upset, but I figured I was going to a BBQ place, they will have a lot of bbq choices. WRONG!

Interesting observation now that I looked at their menu online, notice the menu nor web site say; “Surf BBQ” (they URL does, but not the site) - only in the description to they mention BBQ. I think now that I look at it they are trying to move away from BBQ to more a burger/lite fare place?

Link to menu:
Menus - Surf Restaurant NJ in Rumson, NJ (surfbbq.com)

(copy paste below)

When you have 3 bbq options but 8 “Lighter Side” option, I think you are trying to change the focus of your establishment.

4 Likes

I looked at the website. (Before, I looked directly at the menu.) I see the url is still “surfbbq.com” while, as you note, they’re now calling themselves Surf Restaurant NJ. Yet, the first thing the front page does is highlight bbq: “Wood and Fire. Nothing more primal. With the addition of meat and time comes one of the most enjoyed cuisines in America today. Barbecue.” This, despite the fact that bbq items are a minimal part of the menu. Deceptive, to say the least.

2 Likes

So is this gong to be a chophouse? That would be nice to have locally

2 Likes

Sounds like The Red Horse. I hope they get rid of the bolted down barstools. Those are almost a deal killer.

2 Likes