Surf BBQ, in Rumson, NJ

Just saw on FB he posted some stuff about his joints in light of Coronavirus. He mentioned his employees all get paid sick leave. I understand it’s a tough business with low margins so not every spot can offer that, but as diner and a person I really think that’s a great thing for an owner of a restaurant to do. Def makes me realize it’s been too long since I’ve been to surf.
They are also ramping up takeout according to the post for those who enjoy surf but may not be cool with being in Public much these days

4 Likes
3 Likes

Tuesday through Friday? Hot Dog-Dam!!! My son is on spring break next week (then an “additional break” for who knows how long) I’m going to have to lift my medical mask to down a few of those dogs!!! Love this!!!

4 Likes

Know yer audience, people… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It’s things like these that makes a guy fall off the wagon!

3 Likes

We debated about if I should write this up the entire time we ate dinner but ultimately decided I should just to be sure people are aware. We did dinner outdoors last night at surf based on the recommendations here. No issues with the food or service. Food was all delicious and all the servers wore masks and gloves but here was the issue. We saw two separate people in the kitchen without masks at all. Not even around their neck or chin. The kitchen is open so you can see right in so it didn’t seem like they were trying to hide anything.

Mods - feel free to delete this is too far across the line but since it was mentioned as specially covid aware restaurant, we both walked away totally put off…

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Having just read that a CDC study conducted earlier this summer showed that people who dine indoors OR outdoors at restaurant are twice as likely to get COVID, I do think this should remain up, but maybe we need a separate thread? And/or put a rule on it that you can only post Name of restaurant + what you saw? There are multiple restaurants where I’ve heard about the exact same issue–and I’ve heard it from friends and via posts on our local NextDoor boards. I’m not sure how/why restaurants are getting away with this, most esp the places that have kitchens that all can see! My two cents.

2 Likes

Were some of the workers wearing masks but not others? Masks are not required if they present a safety hazard such as working over an open flame.

5 Likes

THAT is good to know.

3 Likes

Yes, most were wearing them. One guy was clearly nowhere near flames and was acting as a air traffic control it seemed. Ensuring meals are going out of the window together etc. That was the one that most bothered me.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would bother me too.

2 Likes

I agree on only first-hand reports–no “friend of a friend” stuff.

3 Likes

I don’t live in NJ, but where I do live, CoronaVirus fatigue has settled in BIG TIME. My neighbors here have decided to challenge state government, the CDC, and the Grim Reaper regarding the veracity of the local COVID19 death numbers. Each day that passes, I feel more threatened by “casual transmission” of this killer virus.

4 Likes

@corvette_johnny; just saw on FB, the pastrami short rib is back every Fri-Sun. I might have to get off my a$$ to get that take out one day soon.

5 Likes

We will be there this weekend!

3 Likes

They keep tinkering with the menu at Surf, but the constant is quality. No more pastrami beef rib nor brisket…:frowning:, but we started with the Smokey Mountain charcuterie, an aged Benton country ham, house made pimento cheese spread, assorted pickled veggies and fried saltines to pile it all up on. Fried Saltines. And the burger. The Surf Burger. It’s good. Real good.

7 Likes

It is THE best burger in NJ!! And fried saltines!?! Wow! That sounds amazing !

1 Like

just an FYI- the pastrami short rib is on menu tonight per FB. I know thats a big hit around these parts.

@corvette_johnny thinking of you here bud!

3 Likes

Hate to write this, but I just had a horrible experience regarding the pastrami short rib. My wife wasn’t feeling too well to go out, but we compromised and allowed me to do take-out. I called to place an order along with other things, and they charged my card. A little bit later, I got a call that the pastrami is for dine-in only. Now I would understand if they said that over the phone, social marketing, or even on their menu. But they didn’t, and they already charged my card. Would they let it slide this time and allow it to be taken out after I told them my wife wasn’t feeling well enough to go out and that I was already charged? No, they didn’t. So now I am stuck with no dinner and waiting for a refund on my credit card. Honestly not a great experience and they lost my business.

5 Likes

Dammit. I just ate…otherwise I’d gladly repay you on Tuesday for your pastrami beef rib today since it’s just sitting there.

2 Likes