Supermarket Pricing Oddities and Rules

Digital coupons dont always appear on the receipt and most grocer apps require time to set up weekly. Why not just set up a one step registry and tie it to the courtesy card directly rather than the app step. Go paperless AND streamline the digital method.

Seems like at less work for everyone.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on that. I think it makes the whole loyalty card useless, if you canā€™t feed me my coupons automatically by scanning the card. When I sign up otherwise, Iā€™m really not looking for more emails and other marketing stuff from the store.

2 Likes

Not to mention that it requires you have a smartphone to get these deals.

1 Like

You need the deals after you drop $600 at the Apple store

2 Likes

The cheapest new iPhone is now $699!
Apple needs bogo coupons.

3 Likes

I paid zero for my iphone thru sprint no contract deal but the monthly was higher for service. and I plan to move service to alticeā€™s new deal for a better monthly service rate cause they let u buy or keep your current iphone.

There are deals.

The half-n-half situation has turned around. The price of the larger container has returned to being less expensive than the total of 2 smaller sizes. This was the first time in decades in my area that this pricing structure had changed for this product.

1 Like

10 for $10, or 8 at 88 cents each :face_with_monocle:

I guess the dollar each applies if you buy fewer than 8, but if you buy 10 itā€™s 8.80 so ā€¦ ?

1 Like

Walmart yesterday: plastic shoeboxes 88 cents each or ten for $8.98. (Oddly, they were out of the ten-packs!)
This may be a relic of when they were $1 each or something, and only repriced the singles.

There might have been an easier way to express the saleā€¦:question:

1 Like

My take, 10/10 is the sale price for any customer. With loyalty card the price of 8 or more drops to .88 each.

1 Like

Except each price says ā€œwith card.ā€ :confused:

My local market has a special on Tastykakes for $1.88 when you buy three with a limit of three (with card). Otherwise they are $2.49. I donā€™t know how many folks had just one box and were surprised they were charged $2.49.

Thanks - you are correct! Reading while under the influence of just 1 cup of coffee can be dangerous!

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand soda pricing at all. This week they had 8-packs of Coca-Cola products on sale. They are three for $12, but you have to buy three to get this price. If you buy only one it is $6.65. If you buy two, each is $6.65, meaning two cost $13.30. So they will pay you $1.30 to take a third one.

I donā€™t understand soda pricing at all.

(This is at ShopRite in NJ. Is this true at other supermarkets, or is this just a ShopRite thing?)

1 Like

Nope, not just ShopRite. Here in the Philly area I regularly shop at Redners and Giant. They both do the ā€œmust buy 3/4/5ā€ not only for soda but for other items like Tastykake and crackers. This week at Giant Tastykakes are 5/$10, but anything less than 5 is $2.99. So if you want 4, it will be $11.96. I donā€™t mind it so much for soda, as I can stash that out in the garage and it wonā€™t go bad. But thereā€™s no way my household of two can eat 5 boxes of Tastykakes before they go stale.

1 Like

Then again, it might be fun tryingā€¦

2 Likes

True enough, but 20-30 packs in 10 days is a big ask. The doctor and dentist may be happy with the extra business.

1 Like

Do Tastykakes ever go stale? I thought they were like Twinkies, which will outlast even cockroaches.

3 Likes

No Tastykakes arenā€™t as good as they were in my childhood when they were local and used real butter, milk and eggs. But theyā€™re still not the ā€œchemical cakesā€ that Twinkies, Drakes, etc were\are. They used to go stale in a matter of days, now it takes 7-10 days to go stale. Their coffeecakes are still a good grab-n-go breakfast option.

Maybe not for you, but we have basically only one person in the house drinking soda, and not daily, and often the sweetener in diet soda loses its sweetness before a bulk purchase is finished, or if itā€™s plastic bottles rather than cans, the carbonation leaches out. The expiration date on the soda I just bought is two months from now, so that means if itā€™s ā€œbuy three casesā€ itā€™s not too bad, but if one has to buy four or five, it starts getting to be too much.

1 Like