[Sunnyvale/ San Leandro, CA] Ming Tasty 鳳凰名粥- Is the non-descriptive English name leading to the absurdly low Yelp rating?

I am certainly not a congee maven other than occasionally enjoying a good bowl, unlike some who eat these for breakfast every day.

But if a restaurant has a specialty, I tend to order it if I I decide to eat there.

I will add a non-congee data point that may justify the rating. Last weekend my daughter and I had lunch here. Fish maw, fish skin, chicken mushroom congee, and a Hong Kong wonton noodle soup.

The wonton noodle soup was genuinely wretched. This one ranked in the bottom 5% amongst all such bowls consumed lifetime. Wonton that has a medicinal dong-guai like taste with a solid ball of pork plus mushy shrimps, broth that did not taste of any of the typical broth ingredients- tile fish, pork bone, or even just any recognizable food. It was rather unpleasant. Also they used bok choy and green onions. Noodle texture was the only acceptable component but even the noodle was coated with the broth. My daughter, a big fan of all things noodle and generally not a fan of congee, left the noodles untouched and downed two bowls of congee.

I hope most of their other non-congee food is better than that bowl of noodle, but I don’t think I want to spend money to find out. Please, stick with the congee.

2 Likes