Street tacos: where and how SF

Not far from the coliseum

A couple of barbacoa tacos from Tacos del Barrio in the Mission, SF which they have on weekends. Very good with tender juicy lamb.

7 Likes

Those look fantastic!

1 Like

I’ve been to El Paisa, really liked it. Great place to stop before or after a OAK airport run. Parking lot is enclosed, seems secure, and you can watch your car from some spots.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Tacos El Ultimo Baile? I went three different times and they were closed. They have the most erratic hours and their posted open times never seemed to jibe with then they are actually open.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay-area-tacos-el-ultimo-baile-temporarily-closed-18348935.php

Tacolicious
They aren’t going to make anyone’s best of lists but you can do a lot worse. This was a catered work event.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching and enjoying a YouTube series called Did You Eat Yet? about food in Oakland including tacos. The latest one, Oakland Taco Tour Part 4, features Las Parrillas Locas, among others. Warning: these videos will make you very hungry! :taco: :taco: :taco:

8 Likes

We often get Tacolicious for catered work events. As you said, it’s pretty good for what it is.

1 Like

Wash down lengua and birria tacos with grapefruit paloma:

1 Like

Lengua super taco is our usual here. Sometimes fish (or both). No cocktails, cerveza only. Unlimited chips and salsas. The proprietress is a sharp cookie. You know it’s the real deal, because at mid-day there usually are a lot of work pickups and smart hard working guys in neon orange vests to be seen.

1 Like

Got my taco fix at Pancho Villa off Valencia Street today.

We split 3 Lengua tacos and an order of Mushroom Quesadillas. Quality, freshness and service is always excellent.

Sadly no salsa/jalapeno bar still, post pandemic. Salsa Verde and Red Salsa lively and bright as always, should of asked for a side of Jalapeno though. Next time.

Happy hour price Tacos @ $2/ea between 3pm ~ 5pm, a happy surprise. Regular price for tacos are $4/ea, 3pc/$10. Happy hour Horachas $1, HH beer $3.

All the more reason to come back más a menudo.

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

We sadly report that it appears too many took advantage of the chips and salsa bar (we’ve seen some loading plastic bags to top after receiving takeout), so now an individual basket of chips is offered at register after order is completed. Serve yourself salsas remain in place.

2 Likes

Tocos Oscar, Oakland
Barbacoa and charred broccoli- good stuff

7 Likes

El Tucan, Richmond CA
Tijuana style, homemade tortillas.
These were very good but probably not destination worthy. Two adobado, which is their specialty- you could really taste the marinade. One shrimp, sautéd in garlic, good very fresh and one carne asada - just ok.

3 Likes

Quesobirria- quite good. Trick about a block from Best Buy, SF

6 Likes

El Asadero - tripe and carne asada. Tripe was vey good, a bit chewy but some tasty charred bits from the grill. Carne asada was the star though, smoky really flavorful meats - I thought these were better carne asada than Parilla Loco that gets more buzz. Nice salsa bar too. Of course I had to stop at Tacos al Pastor as well. 50th and Coliseum way in Oakland has a crazy amount of food stalls, taco trucks and grills on the weekend. You could do a multi-style taco crawl within three blocks.

6 Likes

I’ve been making weekly trips to Tacos Don Chai in Martinez (just off Pacheco Blvd) for quesabirria lately… their salsas are the best - esp the pinapple habanero sauce. Also super nice family who run the place.

1 Like

Also big shout out to Isla Restaurant in Concord for best shrimp tacos and octopus tacos in the Bay Area by a long shot!

3 Likes

Coliseum Way, Oakland.

Las Cazuelas is my new favorite taco stand. Handmade tortillas and a great variety of deeply soulful meats. Chicharron prensado (spicy) and tinga de res were both excellent.

Two mixed (cabeza and lengua) from Tacos Al Vapor were very good.

11 Likes