Specialty delivery and pick-up [Greater Boston area]

How wonderful! Wishing you and your husband many more years of happy, @bear.

4 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Happy anniversary, mama bear.

3 Likes

My meat delivery from M.F. Dulock went smoothly yesterday. I’d been wanting lamb, and they gave me exactly what I asked for: nice cubes with some fat on them, and a big bag of marrowy bones. I’ve started the process of making a “Kolhlapuri mutton feast” with the lamb. Kolhapur is a region south of Mumbai and is known for its leather working (especially footware) and its “mutton” – which in Indian-English means goat meat. I’ll be making the feast with lamb.

(You rub the meat with a ginger-garlic paste, brown it slightly, then slow-simmer it in copious amounts of water. When the meat is tender, you remove it, and continue to simmer the bones to get a rich, garlicy-gingery broth. About half the broth will be used to make a white sauce today, with a paste of cashews, white poppy seeds, white sesame seeds and coconut. The other rough half will be used to make a red sauce with tomatoes, red chillies, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom. The meat will be moistened with a small amount of stock, stir fried with curry leaves, and served with the two sauces and rice.)

6 Likes

Sounds great. What time is dinner?

1 Like

At 6. You can watch us eat it from a safe distance.

3 Likes

I hope you had some kind of good celebration! 45 coming up before you know it!

We got takeout from Tempo in Waltham. We wanted to support a local place, and they have been doing lots of good work providing lunches for essential workers and other community work. Overall, the food was quite good. We started with clam chowder and a pear/gorgonzola salad. My husband loved his boneless bbq-sauced short ribs, which were very tender and flavorful. My Statler chicken was a bit dry, but the accompanying fettuccine with pesto and spinach held up well and was quite tasty. My son’s mushroom risotto was fine considering risotto isn’t usually a great takeout option. A side of roasted Brussels sprouts had lots of flavor, and a family-style strawberry, rhubarb and apple crisp rounded things out nicely. In general the non-veggie menu is surprisingly large and varied, pickup was easy and it felt good to leave a sizable tip for staff.

6 Likes

Here’s Tim Maslow’s mailing for this week:

Hello Everyone,

As always thank you for your orders and allowing us to support small producers, purveyors and farmers. I am Tim Maslow, I was a chef, Now apparently a middle man. I really just want to connect people to delicious local food. Safely and Contact-Free.

Directions are below the list. Have a great week!

Fish Offerings.
*prices are last weeks, they will fluctuate. I cannot absorb market changes.
Swordfish - $19lb
Yellowfin Tuna #1 - $22.50 lb
Dayboat Sea Scallops - $21lb
Salmon -Wester Ross (all natural Scottish salmon) - $16lb.
Icelandic Cod - $14lb
Icelandic Haddock - $14lb
American Red Snapper - $21lb
Dayboat Nova Scotia Halibut - $20lb
Prince Edward Island Mussels - $5lb
Littleneck Clams, Minimum 25pc order - $0.70each
Soft-Shelled Clams from Ipswich - $6.5lb
Fresh shrimp, Florida delivered fresh daily (shell on, no head) - $15.50lb
Live lobsters 1.25lb each - $12lb
Jumbo Softshell crabs - $7 each.
Ducktrap smoked salmon - sliced 8oz - $16
Fresh Maine Jonah Crab Meat 1/2lb - $21
Oysters - $1.75 each, New England Region

Additional Items:
-Mixed cultivated mushroom bag - $25 (approx 1.25lb)
-Shaw’s Farm all natural whole milk ( Dracut, Ma ) - $5 Half gallon
-Salad Dressings 16oz, Strip t’s caesar or sesame miso roasted garlic - $10
-8oz roasted garlic (add to your favorite veggie stir fry or smear directly on food) - $11
-Chimichurri sauce 8oz lots of herbs and flavor - $7.
-Tim’s Sesame Semolina Sourdough loaf 2lb each - $12 (great with roasted garlic!)
-Dry Aged Angus Beef Strip Loin 16oz portion - $19 (grillin season!)

Featherbrook Farms ( Raynham, MA )
-Whole chicken $28/avg 5 lb
-Eggs $6/dozen
-Dry aged Ground Beef. 1lbs - $10

Old Man Cookie Factory ( Watertown, MA )
-Brown Butter Cookies - $10
-Choco & Toasted soybean powder (tastes like pb cookies) - $11
-Millionaires bar (Shortbread, Carmel, Chocolate ganache) - $10

Bumpa Bakes ( Canton, MA )
Bagels (4each)
Sun-dried tomato & rosemary, rstd garlic cream cheese - $12
Plain and plain cream cheese - $10
Foccacia - Grandma Pie style (mozz, tom, cheese) - $20
Hand Pies - with caramel and pink lady apples - 2 for $10

CSA TYPE BOX- $65. sourced from local farms.
Example of what it will include due to local farm availability.

• Lettuce, Radishes, Cucumbers, Spring garlic, Swiss chard, Asparagus, Baby turnips, Fingerling potatoes & Old Man Cookies.

I need your order by Tuesday evening
Please send a NEW EMAIL to fishyfishfishfish84@gmail.com rather than responding to this, SUBJECT: "ORDER"

Provide your Delivery address, Cell number and any pertinent drop-off instructions. I will accrue all items throughout the week ending with a fresh fish pickup Friday morning. I will pack food and deliver Friday Evening (Approx 3-6pm). If you do not plan to be available to answer your door for delivery-please place a cooler outside.

-Payments to be made with Venmo or Zelle only, thank you for helping keep it contactless for all.

$15 local delivery (I’m located in Watertown)

$25 for outside immediate local delivery (more than 3 miles)

2 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

I’d posted about a Shalimar delivery on the “Score!” thread (see below), but this one seems more appropriate. I ordered a fresh batch of curry leaves, methi, bitter melon, tindora (Ivy gourd, a small squash) and so forth, and despite saying it would take three days, they dropped off at my door the next day. All the vegetables were very fresh.

4 Likes

I’ve had several deliveries from Maslow’s Fishyfishfishfish outfit (see posts above). It’s expensive, with a $25 delivery fee where I live, but the quality of everything is by and large superb. The fish is very fresh (I had the most exquisite halibut once from them, but everything has been top notch), the meat very good (a dry-aged steak was outstanding), and his prepared foods, as you might expect, have had his touch. Their Caesar dressing, like the one at Strip T’s used to be, is terrific, studded nicely with anchovies. I could bathe in the stuff. His carefully selected produce has also been really good, especially his strawberries. You’re paying a price for all this, but you’re having what you get selected for you by a sure hand, rather than some random “shopper.”

5 Likes

The last take-out meal we’ve had was in early March. Since then I been doing all the cooking. Have been relying on Instacart for BJ’s and Big Y for most household groceries. For proteins I been using D’Artagnan which started a home delivery service in my area. Little pricey, but the quality of the products have been excellent.

5 Likes

I’ve done D’Artagnan, too, looking out for their frequent sales. Even at sale prices their stuff is pricey, but it’s really good and gives you access to items such as duck and rabbit and morel mushrooms that are hard to get elsewhere (although Savenor’s can sometimes come through).

1 Like

More specialty items delivered today:

1. Lychees from H-Mart (small but very juicy and reasonably sweet).
  2. Various things from Sienna and Stillman’s at BPM. I really wanted the sour cherries listed under Sienna, but they were out. I took a risk this late in the season and ordered strawberries. They were watery and had lost flavor from having been refrigerated. I’ll have to live the rest of the season with the splendid memory of the ones that Maslow’s people supplied for two weeks.
5 Likes

I may have mentioned this before, but I think worth giving a little plug here. I’ve been a subscriber to Walden Local Meats for the last 3 years or so, and have been quite happy with them. They have since opened a brick and mortar butcher store in Boston too. All grass-fed and pasture-raised and ‘locally’ sourced - I use quotes if only because some of their meats come from neighboring states. They don’t run a farm themselves, from what I remember. I usually get meats from other New England areas, and sometimes from NY too. All good stuff. They were the only ones doing delivery for farm shares at the time, but monthly boxes and other delivery options now seem to be the new thing with the latest crop of purveyors.

They have decent flexibility with their subscription service - you can choose how many pounds you want and if you want monthly or even every other month.

4 Likes

My housemate had been looking for Lychee for a long time now. Does H Mart still sell it? And which delivery service do they use?

My order from H-Mart was three years ago, so I don’t know if they have lychees this year. They are on Instacart.

Not lychees, but lychee-like muscat grapes are available now in several places (WF, FK, etc.).

Thanks. Instacart finds two listings, one at America’s Food Basket (around the corner) and Star Market (!). AFB is out of stock; I can add them to my IC basket from Star, but the Star app doesn’t find them. At times like this, I would say I miss Russo’s, but I only ever went there once.

How similar are muscat grapes in flavor?

(post deleted by author)