South of the Yangtze River, Exploring the Delicious Steamed Spare Ribs in Lotus Leaf, Slow Braised Lion's Head Meatballs, Shanghai Cuisine and More - Jiang Nan Spring [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @Sgee,

Thanks, and glad I was able to pass along helpful info. :slight_smile: Definitely give Jiang Nan a try if you were craving Chang’s Garden. Hope you enjoy the visit!

1 Like

When it comes to huadiao/ shaoxing, 99 Ranch’s selection is pretty weak for cooking, let alone drinking. The difference is really just similar to drinking two buck chuck versus better wine. Because the chicken is marinated in the huadiao for a day or two, you can’t really hide if the wine is subpar.

1 Like

Thanks @sck! :slight_smile: Thinking about it, where would one go to find 5 - 10 Year Old Shaoxing Wine in So Cal? Where do you buy it in SF? Thanks.

this sounds really good! never had anything like it, can it be found in the SF Bay Area?

Thanks for the write-up (and the thoughtful shoutout!) – this place came on my radar about a week prior, and I bookmarked it to try sooner rather than later, so thank you so much for the thorough (and timely) review!

1 Like

I buy mine from a local grocery chain. This store is interesting to say the least when it comes to alcohol. Not only do they carry decent huadiao/ shaoxing. They also have $1000 bottle maotai right on the shelf by the entrance. And often times the staff isn’t present. I don’t know if they have the real bottles inside the box but the box sure felt heavy and I picked it up.

I am sure you will find some good ones at local grocery stores.

1 Like

Hi @strongoxman ,

Thanks! Let me know if you end up trying out Jiang Nan and their Beef Rolls (and many other dishes). :wink: Hope it helps.

Thanks @sck ! Wow, it’s only ~$13.99 - $15.99 for a 10 Year Shaoxing Wine? :open_mouth: That seems reasonable as you said it makes a big difference / you notice it. I think regular Shaoxing at the local 99 Ranch markets around So Cal cost us like ~$4 - 5? Seems like a bargain then. :slight_smile:

Whatever you get, make sure the Shaoxing wine is Hua Diao Wine (花雕酒), a supreme version of Shaoxing wine.

1 Like

I have no personal knowledge, but I remember being told once that those baby eels are a very expensive ingredient…

1 Like

Try https://winghopfung.com/ on Garvey or Uncle Fossil

1 Like

Thanks @ipsedixit ! :slight_smile: If I wanted to try other recipes that require Shaoxing Wine, should I always use this Hua Diao Wine version for better results, or is that mainly for Drunken Chicken? Thanks.

Unless you are using the wine for a brine (like Drunken Chicken) it’s not necessary.

For regular cooking, like braised fish ( 红烧鱼) or red braised pork (红烧肉), it’s really not necessary. It doesn’t hurt but it would be a waste.

As an aside, if you like seafood or crab in particular, drunken crab is a real treat.

1 Like

Hi @ipsedixit ,

Thanks for the money-saving tip. :slight_smile:

Also, Jiang Nan has Drunken Crab?! :open_mouth: Is it a Special or something on the Chinese-only menu? Thanks.

BTW have you tried their smoked duck?

Why don’t you try to talk them into making it for you by bringing your bottle of 10 year huadiao with you lol.

4 Likes

Hi @sck ,

Thanks, nice idea! :slight_smile:

For the Jiang Nan Spring Tea Smoked Duck? Yes, we tried it there a couple of times. It was good / a solid version. Just as good as Chang’s Garden back in the day (same chef). I’m not an expert on it, but I remember having better versions (more crisped skin, more rounder flavors in the meat), but it was a good local friend who brought me to that place and it was years ago. I forgot the name.

Great rundown. It’s always good to have a place that has a healthy array of comforting dishes.

Not specific to Jiang Nan Spring, but crab with huadiao is a pretty popular pairing - would be interested to see how different restaurants in LA prepare it. At many Cantonese seafood restaurants, you can get king crab prepared in several courses, and one of them is a steamed egg custard in the crab back / tomalley in shell. So, it’s usually a bigger party dish (call ahead for the price per pound and reserve), not something usually ordered for a table of 2 or 3…

At The Chairman in Hong Kong, there’s a steamed flower crab with aged huadiao sauce with egg yolk and chicken fat and Chencun flat rice noodles. I haven’t had it, but it’s a famous dish that I’d love to try; you can just tell it has a super silky and delicate texture. At Fook Lam Moon also in Hong Kong, it’s been since the 70’s with an egg white custard. They had a facsimile at In Situ in SF, where they substituted in Florida stone crab claw. Not sure how faithful it was, but the copy version I had in SF was alright; a bit strong on the huadiao, in my opinion.

At Cantonese restaurants, don’t miss the appetizer of fried pumpkin with salted egg yolk!

2 Likes

Hi @BradFord ,

Thanks! :slight_smile: And thanks for the tip on so many interesting dishes with Crab. The one at The Chairman sounds ridiculous and amazing! :blush:

That’s also neat that In Situ (SF) tried to replicate / pay homage to Fook Lam Moon (Hong Kong).

I’ve never seen Fried Pumpkin with Salted (Duck) Egg Yolk before; I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We once got a king crab three ways at sea harbor and it was amazing. One way was sorta drunken like those pictures. One way was deep fried. The other steamed with some kind of delicious stuff on it. The brains weren’t wasted and the the thin membrane thing in the main body was cooked crisp like chips. Price of this has gone up even more. It was a special occasion dish for a larger group with other courses like geoduck 2 ways, squab, steamed fish, lobster, ong choy etc etx.

I would love to go to the Chairman. Jiang Nang Spring will be easier.

1 Like

You can get it at Shanghai Restaurant on Valley Blvd, as well as Embassy Kitchen and Ahgoo Kitchen.

1 Like