[Singapore] Ipoh-style curry noodles from Yap's Noodles, Yishun

Yap Noodles by Ipoh-born Henry Yap has been creating waves up north in Yishun since late 2018 with his rich, spicy noodles topped with seafood and, get this, crackling-skinned roast pork!

Singapore has never seen this type of curried noodles before: roasted pork, large prawns, clams, blood cockles, tofu puffs, together with a mix of yellow Hokkien wheat noodles, thin “beehoon” rice vermicelli and crunchy, slightly blanched beansprouts.

Henry Yap’s curry gravy was pretty spicier - more so than the versions I’d tried In his hometown, Ipoh, perhaps to cater to the Singaporean palate, which demands more chili than its Malaysian counterpart. It’s also soupier than Ipoh-style curry noodles, again localised to suit Singaporeans’ expectations this time, as most well-established curry noodle places in Singapore (e.g. Heng Kee at Hong Lim Food Centre) serve soupy versions.

Singaporeans are making a beeline to this place. Me, I’m still with Heng Kee, with its curried chicken and potato version - old habits die hard.

Address
Yap’s Noodles (叶福家乡面)
51 Yishun Avenue 11 #01-36
Singapore 768867
Tel: +65 9190 0853
Opening hours: 9am to 9pm

[Singapore is currently under COVID-19 lockdown till June 4, call ahead to check the opening hours before going. No dining in allowed right now, only take-outs]

5 Likes