Singapore. Eating Well is the Best Revenge

If you’d like more sambal, also explore Nasi Campur or Nasi Padang. Malay / Indonesian pick your own dishes rice platter. Make sure you get a side of sambal belacan to accompany the meal. Style of food you can’t find Stateside.

Ha. Nasi Lamak is on my must try list. Need to research the two nasi variants you just mentioned.

I think Anthony Bourdain may have been filming in a nasi shop when his cameraman fell and killed the day’s food selection?

Yes. Nasi lemak, kaya toast + local margarine roasted coffee is a popular local breakfast combo.

Not sure if you can find these Nasi Lemak wrapped in banana leaf anymore

Afternoon tea at Raffles Hotel?

Btw if you decide to try Indian. Opt for the southern Indian style cooking. Also something you’re less likely to encounter stateside. Looks something along the lines of this pic. Often referred to as Banana Leaf Rice

5 Likes

Yesterday breakfast. YY Kafei Dian.

Not the traditional kaya, as I understand. A soft fluffy delicious roll. We had kaya and peanut butter. Totally yummy.

After this, strolled a few blocks to Zam Zam for round two.

Mutton Biriyani and Mutton Murtabak. Best biriyani I’ve ever had, first murtabak. Game changers both.

4 Likes

Haha love Murtabak! Mutton was a great choice. Hmm wonder if they have mutton soup too? Those are excellent too.

1 Like

Yeah, that murtabak worked. The egg, bit of meat, bit of Smokey char off the flat top. Came together so perfectly.

1 Like

Sorry it’s technically goat soup - Sup Kambing

1 Like

Love goat. In SF (Chinatown)and I think many parts of Asia, what is billed as lamb on menu’s is actually goat.

Wife tells me goat and sheep is the same word in Chinese.

Gonna go out soon and hunt up some Curry Mutton. Yeah!!

1 Like

The banana leaf Indian joints have great mutton curry. If you’d like a lighter meals and still get mutton. Perhaps get a roti paratha + a side of mutton curry. All that rice might take up too much space…

1 Like

Don’t forget to get your fill of Laksa!

2 Likes

Loving all the photos, would love to be back in Singapore. Any plans on having fish head curry? Banana Leaf Apolo in Little India do a very good version. I would recommend having the medium fish head.

3 Likes

A most emphatic YES on curry fish head, a must have on any visit. @klyeoh turned me onto a great local spot on my last visit.

Appears Banana Leaf is a worthy bet, almost went there tonight. Perhaps tomorrow, we’re flexible.

It’s feels like a weight has been lifted off my back, to travel again. Hope to hear about your travel adventures soon.

5 Likes

Although I think fish curry + dhal and a dollop of sambal is the ideal pairing for roti paratha. I need trip to Asia :weary:

4 Likes

I had bad experience of Crocodile in Cambodia, they were dried and badly cooked. But I guess cooked properly, they should be alright.

Good to know you’re traveling again.

1 Like

Heard some HK IT ppl and financial ppl fleed to Singapore, and of course some chefs too. I think Singapore is the place to eat well, and with the Indian and Malaysian food.

2 Likes

The only good alligator (not croc) I’ve had was in New Orleans, gator nuggets. A couple other tries at Vietnamese places where they were not very fresh or good. But, hope springs eternal. May keep trying.

About to head out for Sting Ray Sambal. I’ve given up on the rays/skates I pull out of SF bay and just toss them back. Hope sambal prep may be the magic method.

1 Like

Also, maybe ask the restaurant the origin of the crocs…

Sting ray sambal: another classic! :slight_smile: Still remember one I had at Lau Pa Sat hawker court. If you’re ever hungry at night they serve great satay outdoors at Lau Pa Sat, it’s a wonderful experience with the colourful lights and surrounded by business buildings. And the satay is top notch.

1 Like

I have the opposite of FOMO…JOMO! :joy: (J is for joy)

How’s the quality? On par with HK? As much as I like Ling Heung in HK I actually prefer dim sum in Guandong (province), which is also ancestral home of Ling Heung.

Not food related but how’s the weather? It’s still one of the main factors that stops me from thinking of going that way again. Always drenched in sweat :sweat_smile:

10:30pm. Cooled down to 86*. Just back from Night Safari (after dark zoo). Great time, but drenched in sweat.

We enjoyed the dim sum. Better than the States, not as good as HKG or mainland. Scratched the itch for the time being.