Silliness (2018 Thread)

Sausage casings are intestine as well, but properly cleaned.

i don’t like it either, and have no problem with offal per se.

By, the way, loved the “pumpkin cr*p”. I’ve never eaten that stuff - it has made its way up here, but I gather that it is far more popular in the US - it smells of overly sweet spices, as far as I can tell.

Where is this… Malaysia? Or Thailand?

Clever!

WTH?! and WTH kind of fish is this?

I can’t tell you why, but I can tell you what. That’s toast made to look like a Nintendo DS.

1 Like

:smiley: yeah I know. I have several Nintendo’s. Gonna get the DS XL soon.

I meant “WTH” in the last pic. The fish looks so hideous!

I thought that might be a Mekong river catfish, but the tail is different.

Looks like a mud cat to me.

Bangkok.

Thank you, COliver and Robin. Catfish crossed my mind but I don’t know some species of catfish are this repulsive looking.

I should have known it was Thailand. Almost like the wild west there when it comes to “experiencing life as (young) backpackers”. Went there in 2000 and 2001, and I did not do anything stupid. 15 years later I rather enjoy the feeling of being a lone female backpacker in Albania more than my 2 times in Thailand (good times). Albanian countryside is still primitive, it must be a bit like Thailand before mass tourism.

1 Like

Good looking out. That’s why I thought it was a mud cat. A river catfish would have a larger tail fin to enable it to move through the current efficiently. Mud cats are pond dwellers and move at their own pace.

That said, I still dont know what it is and am just guessing :blush:

Aha! Join a discussion of food silliness, learn something about catfish anatomy.

4 Likes

The menu at Shopshin’s, New York City

http://shopsins.com/menu/shopsinsmenu.pdf

Such a wide range of dishes. Massive, actually. Do they do any of them well? There are some funny names for sure. “The ten condiment sandwich”. What’s with the photos of people randomly?

1 Like

Isn’t it better to buy this much from a wholesaler?

Dia is a German supermarket

how disappointing!

2 Likes

I’ve never been there. Calvin Trillin wrote an excellent essay about the place, unfortunately behind a paywall. It was his neighborhood joint before they were forced out by a real estate developer.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/04/15/dont-mention-it

And there’s an indie documentary, “I Like to Kill Flies”. Shopshin is quite a character.

(referring to the Shopshin menu in my post above)

Lingua’s house the other day?

: (

1 Like

LOVE this place! Our sandwiches were great and, of course, the “service” is noteworthy :smile:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/shopsinswhat-603799?commentId=8753064

The doc is called “I Like Killing Flies.” It’s excellent (better than the restaurant, if you ask me), and it was directed by Matt Mahurin. Shopsin’s is in my neighborhood, in the Essex Market, and I’ve been there a few times. It’s tiny, and expensive for what you get, which is why I don’t go more often. The menu is huge, but it’s a lot of the same ingredients put together in different ways. The food is good. The staff (Kenny’s kids, now) is mouthy.

of course, buying a Dia store-brand pizza means you kind of have to expect it to be, um, something less than fabulous…

And I should mention that you can’t share one sandwich. Each person has to order one. But they were so good we loved having leftovers.

Chinese restaurant:

1 Like