Silliness (2018 Thread)

LOL… Johnnie Worker.

Somewhere

Yeah, otherwise I taste only the bread!

Why doesn’t he use the table?! Looks like he wants everything within reach. I see his reading material, mail, and drinks as well, probably.

2 Likes

Red Labial is at least as funny as the Johnny Worker label, er, labial.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I was going to point out! LOL

What’s wrong with the food there?

2 Likes

I am interested in hearing the long version of this story :ear:

2 Likes

XXXOOO

7 Likes

(I posted about this somewhere else on here so my apologies for recycling a story to those who might have read it already)

I use to prepare shrimp and lobster vodka sauce flambe’ in a parmesean cheese wheel. As the shrimp and lobster flambe’d in the wheel I would scrape sides of the bowl we carved into the wheel infusing the cheese into the dish. Obviously the cheese would melt and after it’s last use the bowl would have like tear drops of cheese that started to melt and then cooled and and hardened as we put the wheel into the walk in for the night.

The next day when you would make your first dish or two, the little tear drops act like bumps on the bowl so as you are stirring to infuse the cheese into the dish, the spoon would hit a “bump” and some of the liquid would splash on me, (always stir away from the customers) thus routinely setting my suit jacket briefly ablaze.

One time I was doing it and I had set my left arm, sleeve on fire and I didn’t realize. I literally had the table next to me tap me to say; “Just wanted to let you know your arm is on fire”…(me) “Oh thank you!! Happens all the time!!” The dish was warmly known as the “Flaming Cheese Wheel of Death” by my staff. (and some of the better customers)

I do not have any movies of me doing the flambe but here is a still of it from the old website.

8 Likes

In the early 1960s I worked briefly as the attendant to the flaming dessert wagons at Top of the Sixes restaurant in New York. It was on the top floor of the Tishman Bulding at 666 Fifth Ave. (the building Jared Kushner is now trying to sell to the Chinese). MY duties were to set up the wagons, stand at attention by them and wheel them out to the tables when waiter captains called for them. They were used to serve Crêpes Suzette, Peach Flambé, Cherries Jubilee and Cafe Diablo.

One day some joker in the kitchen substituted salt for sugar in the sugar bin before I set up my carts, and you can imagine the ensuing fuss when the waiter captain tried to make a dessert using salt instead of sugar. I was absolved, but learned to taste the sugar in advance.

4 Likes

Since you brought up Cherries Jubilee here is a pic of myself and my manager at the time doing Cherries Jubilee and Banana’s Foster.

4 Likes

Souperman and notJR
Thanks for sharing your memories … they make me
really miss the restaurant industry

Is that like the most serious you’ve ever been :wink: post setting yourself on fire?

Love it!!!

1 Like

Hmm. Waving a firearm in public.

3 Likes

On purpose?

Depended on the day…

3 Likes

6 Likes

A-f*cken-men

2 Likes

Just saw this made me laugh… `

7 Likes

Burger King in Israel only. For Ballentine’s day.

Another solution for dealing with onion

Diet plate. Eats 50% less.

Who’s the whiskey for?

2 Likes

I don’t want to be special. Just give me regular prices.

3 Likes