Shiso

I let them all grow for a while in the raised bed because they did make a pretty purple accent - they got bigger and I pulled them all. I tried tasting but don’t get the appeal.

1 Like

I like shiso a lot. I grew it last year (someone gifted me a plant) and used it in place of basil and mint. I also made a soft tofu/cherry tomato/shiso salad - a David Chang recipe - that was very good.

1 Like

It’s an acquired taste for sure! But after having a lot of Japanese, Korean and even a few Chinese dishes that use this, I’ve grown to enjoy is sparingly, or when it’s mixed up in other strongly flavored spices or foods. I prefer the green ones, if only because I find them a bit more mild in taste. I really like the Korean banchan where the perilla leaves are just smothered and marinated in that spicy sauce. I can eat boatloads of just white rice with that.

1 Like

Often, it takes repeated trying of new tastes to grow an affinity to the flavors. Cilantro was initially not enjoyed by me or my mother. Years and many exposures later, we both like it and use quite a bit of it. If Shiso is eventually liked, it will be easy to harvest, it’s everywhere! I have no idea where it initially came from, either.

1 Like

Yep, Shiso everywhere!
wildshiso1

wildshiso2

wildshiso3
I’d be a lot happier if it were Basil plants popping up all over the place.

4 Likes

Sigh
I wish it grew like that for me. The extreme heat has abated and the monsoons have arrived. Maybe I should go to a nursery and see if anybody has plants for sale. Or an Asian market and try to root some.

1 Like