[SFBA] Grocery store good finds

I haven’t tried it yet. But curious how the Humphry Slocombe Hong Kong Milk Tea ice cream tastes (at Whole Foods).

Still no sighting of this ice cream. The WF guy told me he hasn’t seen it either.

Its probably faster to make my own.

I got some straight from the source after getting shut out at two different Whole Foods.

I thought it was nice; others who tried it in my household weren’t very impressed and thought it could use more tea flavor. Personally I didn’t have a problem with the little bits of almond cookie that are scattered throughout, but others disliked the ice cream being slightly chunky.

Not a grocery store, but Belcampo is having a buy one get one chicken sale. Spotted at Palo Alto. Great deal. Best checked if available at other branches.

I grabbed a couple of heritage chicken for ginger scallion chicken prep. Their cornish cross is good for roasting.

The fromager at Cheese Plus on Polk just hipped me to a new favorite this afternoon; in my top five for sure:

https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-library/Fleur-de-Maquis

I paid around $18 for a small wedge, so it’s not cheap. I’m not sure how common it is in the Bay Area, though I’ve not seen it around before.

New chocolate line at TJ’s: Montezuma’s 100% Cocoa Solids bars from the UK, $2.49 for 100g bar. I like the one with cocoa nibs I picked up, and they had two or three others, one with whole almonds and one or two flavored, IIRC.

Don’t know the provenance of the cocoa, but just shot them an email inquiry about it. One of the smoother 100% bars I’ve had, and the cocoa nibs added a nice crunch. Don’t love the name, though.

1 Like

I got some good mangosteens from Berkeley Bowl last week (grown in Mexico).

Mi Tierra has had organic cherries for 4.99 a pound.

I got some Mexican mangosteen last week from Chinatown, about 7-8 bucks a pound. Definitely a splurge but they were delish.

From H Mart:

Live abalone (farm raised from USA) $5.99 each
Live geoduck clam (Mirugai, farm raised from Mexico) $10.99/ lb

That was from a week ago so I don’t know if these are sale or regular prices.

Impeccable tanks.

What are the good sources for live seafood these days? Marina has wider fish selections though their tanks are a bit dirty. Any other recs?

1 Like

Has anyone come across the Masumoto suncrest and gold dust peaches? Where did you find them? How are they?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/03/14/390148229/the-family-peach-farm-that-became-a-symbol-of-the-food-revolution

In 2010, the late Huell Howser spent a day with Mas Masumoto and his family on their farm near Fresno interviewing them and eating Gold Dust peaches. Here’s the link to the 29-minute episode of California’s Gold:

The article says Good Eggs has it, though its currently out of stock.

Frog Hollow had Gold Dusts last week. Bought 10 lbs at $3.5/lb. Excellent peachy taste. Though they said they may or may not have it again this week.

Is this for SFBA only? Or can we include nation-wide grocery chains, like Whole Foods? Or can we include products that are available online?

I’ve been wanting to tell everyone about the Cal-Red peaches from California and I see they’re already mentioned here. :slight_smile:

I’ve been enjoying the Cook’s Ventures chickens I’ve picked up from Berkeley Bowl/BBW. They’re $4.49/lb, so more expensive than commodity chicken prices, but I’ve paid more for various unmemorable free range/heritage/organic birds that were of note only for their better practices, with few differences I noted in flavor or texture.
The flavor is within regular chicken range, but a bit more intense, especially if dry brined. The texture is excellent, even the breast holds up well to roasting. The most noticeable feature to me is the relatively thin skin which crisps up nicely unlike the flabby, thick supermarket chicken skin. They also sell thighs and boneless skinless chicken breasts separately.

4 Likes

I think I got this through Imperfect Foods delivery (formerly Imperfect Produce): La Boulangerie’s Croissant Toast loaf “with everything”; e.g., poppy seeds, sesame seeds, roasted onion bits.

It’s cut thick and is devastating buttered and…yes, toasted!

If you like bagels ‘with everything’ and also croissants - this is a great cross between the two. I’m rapidly getting addicted to a slice of this with a cup of strong black coffee for breakfast!

3 Likes