SF Bay Area Farmers' market good finds

Do you know where physically is their bakery?

Their website says they operate out of a shared kitchen space in Sausalito.

1 Like

Yes that’s my understanding. I think they only sell at the Marin and Stonestown farmers markets.

I’ve been going to the Kensington market on most Sundays:

Lola’s Spanish Cuisine makes a very good paella.
Picnic Charcuterie, for sausages, pate, and most recently, pastrami.
Victoria Farmstead, for a wide variety of meats.

And several bakeries.

3 Likes

I am reading in other boards about farmers markets in LA with great variety of strawberry (gaviotas etc) available now. When we recently went to the farmers market in Palo Alto we got good (a bit better than the stuff you get at WF) strawberries but not on the same level as some of these much more flavorful varieties. Are there any farmers markers where you get higher quality strawberries anywhere in the Bay area ?

3 Likes

Does Tomatero Farm sell at the Palo Alto FM? They’re my go-to for good strawberries. I get them at the Alemany FM in San Francisco on Saturdays.

1 Like

Best strawberries from a farmers market I got was at Half Moon Bay FM (Hwy 1 and 92), Saturday, in late June, a couple of times. Deep red through out, very sweet. Make sense since that area southward is strawberry land.

The Old Oakland farmers market on Friday usually has 3+ strawberry venders. Two who only sell strawberries in season, and a couple who sell strawberries with other berries and produce. I don’t remember the names but I go to the place that is stationed on Washington between 9th and 10th. 3 baskets for $12, half a flat for $20. Better than grocery stores, 80% ripe.

1 Like

I forgot the name of the vendors at the Palo Alto market - have to check it next time

gaviotas (and similar strawberry variants) tend to be quite pricey (~$10 a smaller basket)but the few times we had them they were exceptionally good compared to anything you get in supermarkets here (or most restaurants)

1 Like

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Created account just to reply about strawberries.

The Saturday market at College of San Mateo has a strawberry stand from Ventura / Oxnard. They only sell strawberries. I first discovered them late May last year and only had them once before they were gone. This year, I believe they started the season in early April and this past weekend might’ve been their last.

The strawberries are $10 for ~1 lb of conventional and $12 for organic, so more expensive than those from Tomatero and the other local farms. I didn’t ask what varieties are their strawberries, but they are noticeably sweeter, more fragrant, and fresher (still has that sheen) than any of the local strawberries I have had (except for maybe the best of the u-pick ones during the early years of Swanton before they got discovered).

I think if strawberries are one of your favorite fruits, then it’s worthwhile to try your luck at the CSM market this weekend and see if they’re still there.

13 Likes

Thanks a lot - I will try the market this Saturday

Nice!

2 Likes

Borba farm in Palo Alto has wild strawberries. They still have it now but peak flavor season is past. During the peak, it is better than Tomatero’s.

The pepper farm behind Chua Giac Minh in East Palo Alto may also have wild strawberries. I bought a box there like ten years ago. Call them.

Tomatero’s are pretty good. They have a few different varieties available in different months. Albions there are relatively boring- they got better varieties but i don’t remember the names now.

4 Likes

Rodriguez Farms is the strawberry vendor 'round Hayward/CV parts. We have lots and lots of strawberries from our backyard, so we don’t get those at the markets.

Cherries have been pretty good this year, though.

3 Likes

Harry’s Berrys are at my local Santa Barbara Farmers market, but all the berries are so good here I usually grab some from the stand where I get my lettuce. We come up to Menlo Park for 9 or 10 days a month and I usually get fruit from Bianchini’s out in Portola Valley. It’s pretty good but not as flavorful as fruit I get in SB. Peaches are back so I’m going to buy a flat and bring them up with me. What’s the biggest farmer’s market in the area? Downtown Palo Alto?

3 Likes

Ive had good luck with Dirty Girl (Sf Ferry and Stonestown and ??), Tomatero San Rafael, Temescal, Grand Lake), Rodriquez (Concord, Stonestown), and Yerena/Fenela (SF Ferry Plaza, temescal, old oakland)

4 Likes

Dirty Girl comes to the South Berkeley market on Tuesday afternoons, and I believe they also sell at the Santa Cruz markets. They sell the best of the dry farmed tomatoes on offer in Berkeley.

3 Likes

Just starting to explore the different markets and we were told that PA Sunday market is one of the bigger ones (but we were actually a bit surprised that it was smaller than expected)

There’s downtown Palo Alto on Saturdays. It is small

Cal Ave in Palo Alto on Sundays. this one is bigger

Caltrain lot in Mountain View on Sundays. Maybe slightly bigger than Cal Ave.

Yes they are here and the go-to for dry farmed at the Santa Cruz FMs.

1 Like