SF Bay Area Bagels

Have your had a chance to try the frozen ones? For a reheated bagel, how do they fare?

I was in North Beach today about noon, and was delighted by the maltiness of nibble of a bagel I had at Tony Gemignani’s Dago Bagel / Toscano Brothers (for a Tony trifecta, I enjoyed the good as ever a stromboli at Tony’s takeout place a few blocks away. Toscano Brother’s flatbread was gorgeous, but seemed over baked, with flavor from seasonings but not the bread itself)

1 Like

I dunno–sometimes they don’t get that crust until they’re several hours old, when they’re just a little stale.

1 Like

Boichik passes the test for my NY in-laws as well. They are also a favorite for my office.

We got Daily Driver through GoodEggs and they were terrible so I am surprised to see the good reviews here. I guess I will have to try them again but this time I will go to SF.

2 Likes

I’ve really liked the DD bagels I got at their Ferry Building location. Maybe they’re fresher then? (I’ve gotten them in the morning, not long after the building opens.)

Yes, i have tried the frozen ones. They are very good.

1 Like
1 Like

The Castro Valley Natural Grocery now carries bagged frozen presliced Boichick Bagels, but at $18.99 for a bag of six I won’t be getting them very often.

1 Like

And the verdict on frozen Boichick bagels…a little sweet, like the old H&H Bagels in NYC (her model), but not nearly as huge as H&H. Thank goodness, because those were too big.

3 Likes

Had a DD bagel for the first time and really liked the chew on it. I’m not a bagel connoisseur, so I can’t really compare.

For those who are hesitant to pay the high prices for their bagels, you can get day old bagels for $8 or so for a 6 pack. They are also on the Too Good to Go app, and if your flexible when u can pick up (1:45 - 2:00), I got a 6 pack of same day bagels from them for $6 or so

3 Likes

Chicken Dog Bagels, San Francisco
From a former Pizza Hacker chef. [Pizza Hacker is also doing bagels under the Bagel Macher moniker and it seems like it’s more of a regular thing than it used to be]. Friday and Saturday morning pop up at Pi Bar in the Mission. You had to pre-order the day before, then pick up between 8-10 am. $2.50 per bagel. Great crackly exterior, nice chew and super dense. They did not need to be toasted. These are the real deal. Hopefully they will open a regular brick and mortar, I had an unusually busy morning and almost missed the 10:00 cut off to pick up.

4 Likes

Public Service Announcement, if you want to order Chicken Dog Bagels for this Friday or Saturday:
https://chickendogbagels.square.site/?mc_cid=6f350c9d47&mc_eid=d7d0f94867

Woot, thank you for the reminder! Just got my order in!!!

1 Like

Great! Curious to hear other opinions on them. Gotta say those bagel dogs look pretty tempting as well.

1 Like

I’m interested to hear other people’s experience too. We love them, and my two small kids really miss our regular trips to their Pizzahacker popup on pandemic weekends.

I agree with your description of the crackly exterior. There’s a good amount of dimples on the exterior and a notable sourness to the crumb, which bounces back after each bite, but isn’t leaden. At one point I recall the dough being too sour for my liking, but they eventually hit the mark. And the best part is they’re super fresh.

I’m not a fan of the bagel dogs— the parts are great, but theres too much competition between the dogs and the bagel— also, my bar for bagel dogs is based more on nostalgia for the frozen ones I’d have as a kid at summer camp, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Bagel Macher/Pizza Hacker
Little Phiser with smoked trout and poppyseed. They really load up the poppyseeds!
Bagels were smaller than Chicken Dog. Dense chew but didn’t have much in the way of a blistered exterior. Decent but I prefer Chicken Dog.

2 Likes

I don’t like bagels that have such a heavy coating of seeds (poppy, sesame, etc.) I think it overwhelms the bagel texturally and tastewise. Plus you have to keep checking your teeth for seeds!

1 Like

And it’s like a glitter bomb went off in your kitchen when you slice them, the seeds go everywhere.

3 Likes

It’s too bad they don’t provide a truly plain bagel (ie, without smoked salt–not even regular salt).

1 Like

After years of bagel seed glitter bombs, I started slicing my seeded bagels in the sink, with the cutting board sitting in the sink. No more glitter :bomb:.

5 Likes

And this is why I like Hungry Onion - I’m too dim to figure out something like that on my own!

3 Likes