September–December 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Months: Sarah Kieffer's Blog and Books

Banana Bread Scones 100 Morning Treats p. 50

I have lots of bananas to use, so thought I’d try something different. These are really tasty and not as heavy as I feared they’d be. I omitted the pecans and used chopped candied ginger for more of a dark and stormy vibe with the rum glaze. Some of the tips did distort as I had no room in the freezer so these got the Canadian front porch treatment to chill, while I hoped squirrels didn’t notice.

11 Likes

MILK CHOCOLATE RYE BREAD from 100 MORNING TREATS P. 72.

I chose this recipe for the rye-and-chocolate component. That it called for buttermilk, and two kinds of chocolate was a plus.

Making a half recipe in an 8”x4” Fat Daddio loaf pan, I used KAF medium organic rye, Valrhona Dutch process cocoa powder, TJ’s Pound plus milk chocolate, and a 3 ½% fat buttermilk. The “bread” baked for 45 minutes.

I see a lot of comments on-line regarding excessive sugar quantities in Sarah’s recipes. This is not one of those (another plus). I would hesitate to call it “bread”, however. It’s a pleasing, chocolatey, fudgy, lightly sweetened loaf that we both liked. A very nice afternoon tea/coffee cake that doesn’t leave one in a sugar coma.

No mixer and few bowls required - possibly a qualifier for The Quick Bread Thread? Will make again.

8 Likes

For collectors of errata:

One thing to note: The recipe for the Morning Buns in 100 Morning Treats has a typo in it (but the same recipe in Baking For the Holidays does not ). The recipe calls for 1 cup [200 g] of granulated sugar, which is correct, but the sugar needs to be divided. The filling for the Morning Buns uses 1/2 cup [100 g], not the 1 cup stated, and the remaining 1/2 cup [100 g] is used to toss the warm buns in. I am so sorry for the mistake!

7 Likes