Senior portions at restaurants. Now I know why.

I’ll try this next time! Thanks!

1 Like

I use a spider to gently lower a bunch at once (I usually boil a dozen at a time since they keep a while in the fridge). When they’re done I drain off the hot water and fill the pan with cold water immediately, cracking the eggs lightly as I do (letting the cold water in seems to help the membrane stay separate from the white). Even being gentle with the spider, I get a couple of cracks when I add them, but since the water is boiling usually only a few drops of white escape before the crack seals itself.

2 Likes

“Umm, you’re full - you can stop eating!”
I’d really like it if my stomach told my brain that.

3 Likes

I made deviled eggs for the 4th with already hard boiled and peeled eggs
from the store *maintains steely gaze ahead while judgement rains down around me *.

5 Likes

A former coworker used to buy those bags and eat a salted egg daily for breakfast. Sometimes it’s worth it to pay for convenience if doing it yourself just frustrates the bejeezus out of you.

4 Likes

I am a greedy, fat man. Turning 70 last year has done nothing to change that.

By the by, seniors portions are very uncommon in this part of the world - pretty much restricted to fish and chips places. That said, kids menus are not that common either (chain restaurants excepted).

No judgment from me, although I’m a DIY guy. I want the name of the company that packages them so I can find out how they do it. They must have a better way than I or they’d be making a LOT of egg salad.

They’re blister packed, one at a time.
A dollar each around here, so lots of profit.
I assume you never venture into convenience stores.

These are loose in the bag, around .50 a copy. I only buy them once or twice a year because I can’t get a boiled egg to peel cleanly to save my soul. They’re expensive for eggs but life is short.

3 Likes

I’ve written to the company to find out how they peel eggs. We’ll see what they say.

I certainly don’t look down on people who buy those peeled hard boiled eggs in the refrigerated section. But I have often wondered to myself who Would buy something like that. They just don’t seem trustable to me. I’d be worried as to how they were stored en route more than anything else. Well, to each their own.

What I can’t understand about the commercial, pre-hard boiled eggs, is how they keep them from getting the green rings around the yolks after storage. I pride myself on perfectly hard cooked boiled eggs with NO rings, but after a day or two in the fridge, they always develop. Because of that, I don’t like to make them in advance anymore. A mystery! :egg::egg::egg:

Steaming also works to do the same thing.

My current method (updated somewhat recently):
Bring an inch of water to a boil, add eggs, cover and cook for the requisite time, then pour cold water in to cool down the eggs, bang them about a bit to crack and loosen the shells, replace the cold water, and peel.

Same idea as others, but less water to boil, and no ice bath.

Timing:
6-7m runny yolk
8-9m jammy
12-13m hard

1 Like

I regularly store HBE for several days and I have never had them develop a green ring. I do notice, however, that the whites seem to get a bit rubbery after a few days. A quick soak in hot water revives them, luckily!

2 Likes

We had shrinking appetite with both my grandmothers - also more finicky eating.

Though as I still tell my mom, it’s not finicky to want to eat what you like vs what someone else wants to cook or feed you :joy: - by that measure she is now much more “finicky” than both grandmothers combined :rofl:

My dad’s appetite has been shrinking steadily from his mid 70s into his 80s - he still enjoys tasty food, but he can’t always digest all the things he enjoys (red meat, seafood), so they have to be spread out.

Re “finicky” - his plate has actually significantly expanded in the same period - he’s much more willing to taste things he’d previously have brushed aside (pasta, risotto for eg) and often really enjoys those things, which is a delight for everyone else as it significantly expands the possible menu.

Back to portions - my mom, in her late 70s, can still put away a full meal at a restaurant. But she’ll dial back her other consumption for the day then. Dad can’t eat a whole - or half - portion of anything, but really enjoys eating out, so we always order several things to share. That way he can have a taste of multiple things, and we’re happy to have leftovers.

On a related note, both my grandmothers - and now my parents - developed a significant sweet tooth as they got older. Not sure if others have experienced this.

I think it’s the shock of putting the eggs directly into hot water or steam rather than the traditional gradual-heat approach that does the trick. I have tried steaming too, but for whatever reason I find the eggs don’t cook as evenly as they do when submerged.

I think that may also be me.

Desserts never really featured at home in my early years. Sugar rationing didnt end here until 1953, so I presume my mother just wasnt in the habit of making them. Through most of my adult life, I’ve generally declined desserts in restaurants and have never eaten much chocolate and other sugary snacks. That generally continues and, probably most times we eat out, we won’t have dessert. But, on the occasions when there’s only one of us wants desserts, it’s always me. And at home, I always want seconds (and occasionally, thirds). My life companion enjoys baking but now rarely bakes cakes or other sweet things as she knows I will exercise little restraint.

Response from Eggland’s Best:

I’ve asked if they would share a video. I’m afraid to ask what the machine costs. From the description it adds credence to the approach of putting the hard cooked eggs in a closed container and shaking the bejeepers out of it.

1 Like