Score! The challenge of scheduling a grocery delivery in the greater Boston area

I am using a tablet. Prior to this, they emailed as soon as the order was delivered.

Thanks, @uni. That’s useful to know. In my case I order off my computer, since I keep records on it, too, of what I’m cooking with what I’m buying, etc. I don’t use my phone much, except to make calls (and text and take pics). I should try delivery apps.

I tend to put my orders together on the computer as well. If you download and log into the app with the same account, you will see and receive notifications for the orders placed via computer, as well as being able to drill into receipt information after the fact. You do not need to use the app to place the order in order to be able to use the other functionality.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Insightful, @uni. You may have also run into other situations in which functionality is different across an app, desktop (PC) website, and mobile (phone, tablet) website?

When I’m not happy with the experience offered via one type of device, I’ll pop over to another and sometimes I’ll find a more useful experience there.

Different interfaces are by design in the digital world, of course. I frequently find that frustrating.

4 Likes

After some e-nudging, Shalimar delivered tonight everything green I’d ordered, plus some snacks (plantain chips and suchlike). It’s going to be bitter melon time in the fd household tomorrow.

2 Likes

Did some research this week and confirmed that Instacart IS marking up the item prices on their orders (up to 20% in some cases), whereas Whole Foods via Prime does not. Needless to say, I won’t be using Instacart once I am comfortable shopping in supermarkets myself.

4 Likes

Gambling on next week’s Misfits Market box having the produce I need, I cancelled next Wednesday’s Peapod delivery, because I won’t actually need the $60 minimum worth of items, and I didn’t think it was cricket to wait until the previous day. Out of curiosity, a few minutes later I checked their time slots, and mine was already gone, even though it was after midnight when I cancelled. It appears that they have different delivery hours on different days of the week.

1 Like

I have a sizeable Instacart delivery from Market Basket scheduled for Friday afternoon between 4-6p.m. (Waltham, I’m guessing, since there’s a store about three miles away from me.) It includes several things for our son and daughter-in-law as well, so it will be a good sample of what is available that day, anyway. I’ll definitely report back about supplies, substitutions, notifications, etc. This will be a good test to see if I want to take my chances again, or spring for the $200+ yearly Mercato fees.

5 Likes

Some quotes from the article:

"Instacart was the worst offender when it came to hiding extra costs in certain transactions. "

“On a recent visit to Costco, I picked up a large pack of dental floss for $12.99. In the Instacart app, the same package from Costco was $15.89, or a 22.3 percent markup. Many Costco items inside the Instacart app were inflated by at least 20 percent, including olive oil and a carton of eggs.”

Since I use Instacart a lot in NYC I was generally aware of the markups, but not the extent of them. (The prices on restaurant delivery services such as Seamless, Caviar, etc., also often have markups. The Craigie roast chicken which is now $45 at Craigie is still $55 on Caviar.)

5 Likes

I put in an Instacart order on April 24 that was scheduled for today, and have just now received a message that said “your Instacart employee was unable to complete your order”. Have I mentioned lately that I really, really, really hate online ordering? (I know. I have.)

Slighly later edit: they apparently at least found someone else to pick up the order, so I think I’m at least going to get some stuff…

4 Likes

Did they say why? Was “your employee” crushed by the weight of what you ordered, or was he/she so taken with your taste that he/she absconded with your stuff?

Amazon Fresh emailed me today that they were now willing to accept me. I’m allowed to order from them once a week. Now that I’m social climbing in the world of delivery services, I don’t know if I can hang out with you riffraff any more.

7 Likes

Riffraff. That’s one of the nicest things anyone has said about me all week. :wink:

4 Likes

Well, I’ve been waiting a couple of weeks, so maybe I’m not up to the standards of the elite. (Sob!)

2 Likes

I was only getting like 15 things! I forgot to complain about this, but our basket was locked and we were unable to add anything to it after we put the initial order in two weeks ago. A 45 minute chat with Instacart failed to solve the problem, the person trying to help us was totally unable to resolve the issue.

It’s clear that I am cursed when it comes to this stuff! Though I did at least get pretty much everything I ordered this time after my initial shopper bailed out for whatever reason.

2 Likes

This whole thread has depressed me like hell even more than the quarantine/virus itself. I‘m checking outta GBA board. It’s been real.

Really? Why? There are all kinds of success stories here. What is life if not success after adversity?

And, having said that, really, what is the real adversity of what is being discussed here, compared to what is happening elsewhere? The “quarantine/virus” is killing people elsewhere. How incredibly, incredibly… (to infinity) fortunate are we that our major concern is groceries?

What’s your objection?

2 Likes

Not to mention that the demographics here seem to be skewed toward middle-class or upper class people who are financially secure. We are fortunate. The people who produce, prepare, and transport our groceries and restaurant orders are less secure. They and their children are, in significant numbers, hungry and having trouble obtaining groceries and prepared meals.

5 Likes

@digga, I’ll miss seeing you around this joint. When the time is right for you, I hope you return.

Myself, I have learned that I need to take breaks from various information and interactions these days or it all becomes too heavy. Which is to say that I give myself a lot of time outs.

Take good care!

3 Likes