Sarma-Somerville

That’s good to know about the fatte, we really like it and have thought of an order to go for dinner the next night.

Another great meal at Sarma in Somerville tonight. Busy but not crazy like the weekend.
Started with the Mushroom Manti and Spicy Calamari Couscous. The couscous was excellent, calamari very tender, tomatoes, olives, persimmons. The Manti was ok, the dumplings a little too delicate. But the egg on top did improve things.
The we added the Lamb Sabzi and Crab/Lentil Kibbeh. Both were really good, the lamb came with a saffron goat cheese that really made the dish and the kibbeh sat on a coconut curry that we liked so much we asked for more bread.
While we waited for these 2 dishes, the waitstaff came around with a meat wrapped roasted asparagus with English peas and an onion taziki. Another win.
The photo is the asparagus dish in the foreground and the kibbeh in the back.
Wine selection was good, healthy pours. It is pretty much our favorite place.

https://sarmarestaurant.com/

8 Likes

We had another fabulous meal here last month.

We started with the weakest course of the evening, pumpkin fritters, beautifully fried, and nicely crisp on the outside, but it was hard to taste any pumpkin. Nothing was bad about them, but nothing was spectacular either. Things shot up from there. The garlic shrimp were plump, tender and garlicky, with a touch of heat. The lamb chops nicely charred on the outside and nicely rare inside. The hummus fries were thin curls of crisp, greaseless potato on a bed of hummus. The cabbage spanikopita was a lovely variation on the original. The lamb kofte, the brisket shawarma (served like tacos), and the short rib grape leaves, all spectacular. Our only regret was the relative absence that evening of those rotating trays of off-menu items. We snagged one, a pita bread folded around cheese (shaped somewhat like khachapuri, but without the egg) that was superb. The only other that passed us was a ceviche-like dish that I’d have eaten but my three fellow diners were not excited by.

With a drink apiece to start ($40 in all), and their wonderful ricotta donuts with two dipping sauces (halva caramel and banana hot fudge) to end, it cost us $180.83 before tip. At $45/mouth it’s a very high quality/$ ratio, especially if you’re better people than we and can avoid drinking.

We’re very fortunate to have the Oleana/Sarma duo operating always on full cylinders around us.

6 Likes

This is copied from Sarma Instagram account:

chefmamacass2 I said we’d never do take-out.
We’ve put over 7000 fried chicken’s in a box.
I said we’d never do lunch.
We sold lentil cheese dogs and turkey hummus wraps out the kitchen window.
I said we’d never do brunch. We made haloumi McMuffins.
I said we’d never have outdoor dining. This Tuesday we will transform our parking lot into a patio.
8 tables. Menu and reservation instructions to be announced this weekend!
Bottom line, life throws you a lot of curve balls. NEVER SAY NEVER.

5 Likes