Santa Monica [CA] recs?

I like some of the grocery store sushi on Sawtelle better personally but sure. Limited variety of fish there. With Kiriko closed Sawtelle is strangely missing a better sushi spot these days…Tsujita there but kinda rip off and mediocre. Hide is where i go with our kids so there’s something about it we like and not just free valet parking!

1 Like

Seriously, everything (although I have not had the apps very often). My favs are the lasagna (although there was too much bechemel last time), the Casunzei, and the Bucatini Aglio e Acciughe (although I would not mind a stronger anchovy flavor). Whatever EVOO the man uses is AMAZING. Relaxed but very gracious service. The place is a gem.

The only “negative” is that the meat sauce shows up a lot on the menu, so I would not get too many dishes at one time w/ the meat sauce (just b/c it’s kind of boring). Also, depending on day/time, you might not get a seat b/c they close around 9PM. I saw them (very politely) turning away people b/f.

B/c you’ve tried it and didn’t like it, or b/c the style of cuisine in general isn’t your thing?

Rita’s Gate of India is in SaMo and was pretty good the few times I’ve tried it (but AVOID the tandoori there, which was NOT good).

Have you or you bro tried Tuk Tuk Thai. VERY mixed reviews, but I’m curious. Had mild food poisoning the 1-2 times I’ve tried Emporium Thai, so…

1 Like

We can vouch for both sushi and signature black cod in range of a manageable ride:

https://matsuhisabeverlyhills.com/about-us/

2 Likes

im less into curries than my brother unless its a really ferocious vindaloo then im all in. I tend to get non curry stuff in thai restaurants too. i think cobi’s is more a curry spot…

I haven’t been to tuk tuk or emporium…i know the thai elvis dude is no longer there but we really enjoy Palms Thai on Hwood blvd and then the usual suspects like luv2eat, issan station, jitlada, pallin etc…all those a bit further from west west side. @GretchenS - yeah its not super close but with all the press our huge ktown gets, thai town has some really good stuff and is pretty big relatively.

I can really get down with a pasta with olive oil and anchovies, in fact its sort of a pantry staple sometimes, that sounds like a good order…i’ll check it out and report back. glad to get another strong thumbs up. Also adore lasagna.

2 Likes

Summer only but yes, so good that I eat nearly half my body weight and then wait till the following summer. I am spoiled for all other pastrami, it is so good.

I can’t help myself, I have to clarify - that is what is available to me but I certainly do not buy it. :rofl: I just wait till I am in civilization.

2 Likes

I love all the ideas you folks are throwing out, thank you! I will be spoiled for choice and you have made me look forward more than I had been to this trip…

1 Like

Was just at Colapasta tonight. ~45 min wait for a table of 2. I’ve recall the one dish I don’t love: Colonne di Pompeii. A bit too chewy for me…

OP, for a more hole-in-the-wall sushi experience, Sushi King might suffice.

2 Likes

It will require an Uber ride but you should consider getting pastrami at Langer’s - it’s still the best we have tasted yet anywhere

1 Like

Or just order from Uber eats, and save the drive time.

1 Like

Um, OK. I’m less interested in hearing about sartorial trends than the food.

Well, I’ve been there a few times separated by almost three decades and it didn’t change at all. I don’t have my member’s only jacket (anymore)…bummer! But i do have my piano keyboard naugahyde tie!

It is a loud senior crowd in my opinion.

Yet like Spago with its smoked salmon/caviar pizza, this spot does have a few “iconic” dishes like the curried fried oysters in a kind of cucumber sauce with salmon roe, and a whole fried catfish with ponzu (something that is somewhat more available these days). You can spend a fortune on this stuff here or a chinese chicken salad that is of course ubiquitous these days. There’s a kind of lobster curry thing and sliced steak dish and a bunch of stuff from the land that time forgot. Ample deep fried spinach! Still, i’d call it tasty if not really special. It’s not my scene at all, really pricy and I’d rather have a Chinese fiesta at newport tan cang or a spot like that any day for much less and much better.

I wouldn’t recommend this for @GretchenS - best enjoyed if you are on someone else’s check and going with the flow of a bigger party that wants to go so you can try more stuff. Anyways, that’s some recent intel for you @MaxEntropy. You can certainly do worse. You can do a lot better.

2 Likes

Thanks @chienrouge ! Sounds like a familiar story - the lure of the reliable income stream by playing the “hits” vs. taking risks.

1 Like

We tend to avoid delivery service for a number of reasons but it might be decent option for somebody on a trip without a car.

1 Like