San Francisco restaurant news and notes [SFBA] 2017

These freshly-made zeppoles were side-by-side with calzones at this New York food booth, so I guess there’s truth to the fact that they can be made from pizzas dough.

I think deep fried calzone are technically called panzerotti :slight_smile:

Well, we’re talking about New York, where they don’t even bother to pronounce calzone correctly, not Italy.

In upstate NY where I grew up, strombolis are more common than calzone, and more often made folded as well as rolled up.

A little bit of Italian renaissance here in SF:

Roma Antica in the Marina- and they seems to have some Roman dishes like pinsa and saltimbocca.

Pesce e Riso, Italian-Japanese fusion in North Beach.

Ardiana, pizza place from the Gialina people in Noe Valley.

1 Like

Casey’s Pizza now has a permanent space in Mission Bay. NY style. Anyone compared their current ones with their tricked-out Weber Grill ones?

I think you are confusing Casey with the Pizza Hacker.

It’s a lame distinction, but I think that article may be right – – pizza hacker was mobile but didn’t have a truck. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/03/my-pizza-oven-pizza-hacker.html

Pizza Politana was even earlier as a mobile, farmers market, operation

Based on some ad hoc research, the best I can come up with is this:

Pizza Politana dates to 2006, with pizza oven on a small trailer

Pizza Hacker (Jeff Krupman) with hacked Webers, dates to 2010. No wheels as of yet.

Casey Crynes of Casey’s Pizza. was the first to actually build the oven into the truck and sell from a window in the truck, in 2011, followed by the massive Pizza Del Popolo in 2012.

Firetrail Pizza, IIRC, started ca. 2013 with an oven on a trailer then built out a large trailer with oven inside and a vending window.

Apologies to @sck: According to this article Casey Crynes DID experiment with a hacked Weber (and in retrospect I think I recall him doing so) but it was the ubiquitous in-your-face Jeff Krupman who made his mark as “The Pizza Hacker.”

1 Like

No prob- I think the main thing is whether the permanent shop has the quality to add anything to the already arguably quite-saturated pizza scene in San Francisco…

Barnzu- Korean drinking/ tapas place, is now open in the Tenderloin

Hamilton Fog- the Californian drinking/ tapas place prices most dishes at a Hamilton. Renaming as Jackson Fog after 10 years?

The Chronicle reports that Boccalone in the Ferry Building is closing.

New Korean Fried Chicken place on Taraval- Odumak

Ramen place on 16th- Ushio. I am actually less interested in their ramen and more interested in their drunken (sake) clams.

Has anything tried the New American place Gibson near Powell BART?

New:

Son’s Addition, new American in the Mission.

Native Burger on Geary.

Cathay House in Chinatown closed on 12/31 after 45 years.

Where did you see that they closed? A recent review on yelp says they’re undergoing a remodel: https://yelp.com/biz/cathay-house-san-francisco-2?hrid=UHVqKehshJtiZrd83CUmRA

Singtao. I couldn’t find the article just now, but something about owner retiring, I believe.

I didn’t hear anything about it, but when I passed by yesterday I saw an auction sign outside the Local Mission Market. Apparently Local Mission Market closed in November and Mission Local wrote about it.

I guess that location is always tough since foot traffic is minimal.